SCOTUS Shenanigans Watch

So, if protest organizers can be sanctioned for the illegal action of any protest attendee, no one in their right mind would ever organize a political protest again.

The Office Yes GIF

Functioning as intended, of course. Gotta keep the plebes in their place.

10 Likes

no one in their right mind would ever organize a political protest again.

Which makes me appreciate all the more people who can stay in their “left” mind.

8 Likes

It’s making me appreciate the people who managed to organize flash mobs without being identified.
:wink: :smiling_imp:

12 Likes

Oral arguments in the Trump immunity case.

9 Likes

Alito seems to be setting up the idea that the President should be immune from prosecution unless his actions are not plausibly legal. He’s floating a compromise. Such fucking bullshit.

12 Likes

tom delonge wtf GIF

9 Likes
12 Likes

If Trump had the right to put forward fake electors in 2020, does that mean that Nikki Haley has the right to put forward a fake slate of Republican electors in 2024? After all, she won the DC and Vermont Republican primaries and so has some delegates for the Republican National Convention (nearly 5% right now, though that percentage will drop as the rest of the primaries or caucuses take place over the next month or so) as well as over 20% of the popular vote according to Wikipedia.

Something tells me Trump’s lawyer would be a lot less supportive of such a plot.

8 Likes

Unlike T****, Haley might actually have a legal case to do so, citing the 14A sec3 and declaring T**** ineligible to be the Republican nominee.

12 Likes
9 Likes

The Second Coming

By William Butler Yeats

Turning and turning in the widening gyre

The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;

Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,

The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere

The ceremony of innocence is drowned;

The best lack all conviction, while the worst

Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand;

Surely the Second Coming is at hand.

The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out

When a vast image out of Spiritus Mundi

Troubles my sight: somewhere in sands of the desert

A shape with lion body and the head of a man,

A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,

Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it

Reel shadows of the indignant desert birds.

The darkness drops again; but now I know

That twenty centuries of stony sleep

Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,

And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,

Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

Source: The Collected Poems of W. B. Yeats (1989)

9 Likes

I think she doesn’t have electors - she has delegates at the Republican Convention. Electors get elected after the Convention.

But she should definitely try it at the Convention!

7 Likes

… a hell of a poem but Yeats was kind of a dick

7 Likes

Oh definitely a regrettable life, replete with seriously bad choices, that guy.

That poem, though… :dart:

9 Likes

15 Likes

I suspect Reich is being coy here.

(See cartoon above.)

14 Likes

[■■■■■] v. United States is an easy case made difficult only because we can so easily imagine [■■■■■] behaving in ways that would actually raise difficult constitutional questions.

11 Likes

I’m sure some clever person at the ACLU or some other civil rights legal group has already thought of this and rejected it, but why doesn’t someone sue the Catholic justices on the Supreme Court for violating the Establishment Clause? It’s obvious that they’ve established their own religion as supreme in rulings like Dobbs and 303 Creative and they can’t reasonably argue that those rulings do not act as the law of the land. The trick of it is that, by suing the specific justices, they would unquestionably have to recuse themselves from any SCOTUS deliberations of the lawsuit.

6 Likes

the sound of Clarence Thomas gaffawing

9 Likes

But even his fellow conservative justices would hold him to that standard. Ok, not Alito but definitely Roberts. Roberts would try to find a way to weasel out of it, but he wouldn’t let Thomas so obviously tarnish the court’s legitimacy as to let justices who are being sued to rule on a case where they are defendants.

6 Likes