SCOTUS Shenanigans Watch

Trump is immune to court cases, he’s not immune to disease, strokes, or any of the other 10 million ways to die.

7 Likes

From your lips…

9 Likes

I trust it’s not wrong to hope that when Trump does die, it will be either stupid or ironic. He doesn’t deserve anything else.

11 Likes

Given his diet and exercise habits, he should have been dead from a heart attack 20 years ago. I don’t think we can count on illness here.

8 Likes

And the fallout begins

14 Likes

rage GIF

10 Likes

Honestly, the look on her face as she is testifying pretty much says it all. (I know that photo is not related to this issue, but it speaks to me!)

11 Likes

Lina Khan is amazing.

10 Likes
9 Likes

9 Likes

Take that, all y’all strict interpretation constitutionalist people!

15 Likes

I have been thinking about this since SCOTUS dumped their immunity decision. Maybe obsessing a bit. It has been clearly established that IANAL, so this may be completely wrong. Have the bought-and-paid-for effectively declared The Constitution of the USA to be unconstitutional? I mean, the emoluments clause is in the document. And yet, somehow, it is now unconstitutional to try to enforce it. How does this work? (And does it even matter, since there is literally nowhere to go to appeal this pile of rotting dingo kidneys?) I join Justice Sotomayor in fearing for our democracy.

VOTE THE FASCISTS OUT AT EVERY LEVEL! FRANCE DID IT, GB DID IT. OUR TURN NOW!

22 Likes
8 Likes

Me, too, though I do think Biden should take a more active stance against it. At the very least he should be using it to secure the vote for people who too often have their vote stolen from them. And if SCOTUS tries to block him, ignore them. They have only the power they are given. They are the weakest of the three branches of government in terms of autonomous real power. They’ve shredded the Constitution. Undo that.

13 Likes

IAAL and I honestly do not know how the majority squares this decision with the US constitution, decades of precedent, or the entire constellation of literature about how the founding fathers did not want a king,

This ruling is anathema to what the US started as and what it’s grown into. It is proof the majority is corrupt and needs to be impeached

17 Likes

i like that the guest mentions a sitting supreme court has reversed its own decision before. ( in a case about requiring the pledge of allegiance ) – i don’t think this court is that court, but one can hope.

i do also wonder if a lower court can just ignore the decision and say: the supreme court decided wrong, here’s the constitution. granted it’d just be appealed, but this court won’t last forever. ( assuming biden is re-elected anyway )

9 Likes

… a lower court can certainly say, “this case is different, because reasons” — if it’s motivated, it can always come up with something

Sophistry is their business, after all :face_with_monocle:

5 Likes

Neither the Constitution nor federal law obliges the President to “take care” that the states do their duty in appointing electors. Neither does it involve him in Congress’s counting of electoral votes. His acts as a candidate are beyond the outer perimeter of his official responsibility. He should, therefore, be entitled to no immunity for those acts.

7 Likes

13 Likes

are you sure we want the constitution? it’s even older than biden. maybe corporate interests can decide what’s best for us instead. :crying_cat_face:

10 Likes