Sean Spicer expected to leave post

While I do not like Sean Spicer, I can honestly say he is one of the few people on 45’s staff that I truly pity and have sympathy for.

7 Likes

Yeah, he is. In my former career, I worked in TV news, and a few of my former colleagues now work as media and PR spokespeople for major corporations. Based on their comments about him (often accompanied by shaking heads, eye rolls, and general WTF expressions) and my own journalism experience he really is that bad.

Lots of spokespeople are stuck polishing turds, but they at least try not only to dress like grownup professionals, but also speak and write like grownup professionals, keep their cool like grownup professionals, and (even if they’re often in adversarial relationships with the press) establish productive working relationships with the members of the press like grownup professionals.

Spicer, like many of the regime’s appointees, is the opposite of “the most luxurious, really the best” person for the job he was given by any normal description of that job in the for-profit or non-profit sectors.

He served mainly to openly signal to Il Douche’s lumpen base the regime’s complete contempt for the press and for the facts and for the “coastal librul elites,” but that’s not really a normal job function of any organisation’s PR or media relations department. Even if that is your goal, you’d get the same results in a more cost-effective manner by putting a houseplant at the podium for every briefing.

17 Likes

I mean, proctologists have to spend all day trying to preserve the integrity of festering assholes, but they don’t have to do it in public.

5 Likes

I don’t. He chose to become the mouthpiece of the most incompetent administration in modern American history, knowing full well what he would be in for, having been RNC spokesman throughout the campaign. I definitely feel sorry for people who find themselves stuck in awful jobs that they hate or are terrible at because of circumstance, but this is not one of those cases.

10 Likes

That wrongfully assumes that:

1. Most Americans have a sense of shame that would prompt such feelings
  2. Competence is even a goal of most people in their work.
  3. That people have the self awareness recognize the consequences of their own actions. The actions of others, always, but virtually never one’s self.
6 Likes

It is the capper of an ignominious career. Of course he would do it. What else was he going to do? Its not like the guy had any dignity to begin with

Which evidently included indulging GW Bush’s furry fetish
This image had nothing to do with Easter at the White House

7 Likes

But in this particular case he most likely sees eye to eye on many of 45’s ideals, to which he knew it would be a difficult role but assumed some level of “perks” that he was counting on. Example: he multiple times stated he was really looking forward to potentially meeting the Pope. It was CLEARLY a bucket list item for him; and to no one’s shock or amazement 45 left him out of the trip and made a point to shove it in his face.

So, I do believe in that perspective leaves me having sympathy for him. I do not empathize, but I pity him. It sucks to spend part of your career ingratiating yourself and taking the cheap shots and then get run over for it.

2 Likes

Why? He didn’t appear incompetent*. He appeared to be really good at explaining that incompetence is the status quo in this administration. i think he did a spot-perfect job, IN CONTEXT.

* he did to you and I, but not at all to his boss, and who determines your competence at a job?

Exactly.

2 Likes

they can check their twitter feed around 4 AM most days.

9 Likes

Eh - how many of us work shit jobs?

Hell, I’d give it a shot if they wanted to hire me.

2 Likes

53% of Americans actively enjoy their jobs, and 15% actively dislike them. Canadians, meanwhile, took top prize for having the cheeriest workforce: 64% of Canadians like their jobs, while only 7% hate what they do.”

5 Likes

A! Lex! Jones!
A! Lex! Jones!
A! Lex! Jones!

8 Likes

Better Canadian jobs? Or do they just complain less :wink:

4 Likes

It could get even worse. 45 could just stop doing press briefings entirely.

2 Likes

That’s my point: Il Douche isn’t going to be his boss much longer, and in the outside world where professional standards are a factor for employers the context of incompetence provided by his current employer is lost.

No serious corporation ever asks a headhunter: “For our next spokesman we’re looking for a dyspeptic Fred Flinstone type who looks like he’s playing dressup in his dad’s clothes, tells lies that even a 10-year-old will be able to see through and, oh yeah, blows his top on camera and spits venom at the reporters we invite to our pressers.”

And yet I guarantee you that within three months he’ll be handed a high-profile spokesperson job with a (very unwilling) organisation, along with speaking engagements and a book deal and (perhaps) a journalism professorship at a fake college like Liberty U. because the wingnut welfare machine takes care of its own.

8 Likes

It will only make the memes easier to generate.

1 Like

I can’t give your post a “like” heart because the truth hurts too much.

2 Likes
10 Likes

What’s that Adonis Bannon gonna say next, that Spicer looks like he takes every day’s breakfast and lunch liquid and 80-proof?

9 Likes

10 Likes