Secret Service agent shoots man near White House, here's what we know

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/10/secret-service-shot-a-man-near.html

8 Likes

Anyone taking bets on whether the guy was shot in the back multiple times?

13 Likes

I’m sorry, that’s classified.

11 Likes

I can’t decide whether Trump will claim tomorrow that he personally shot the intruder, who was a terrorist, or that he was taken to the bunker with his teddy bear for overnight observation.

17 Likes

Keep Trump in the bunker. Put the teddy bear in charge.

27 Likes

I think “Bunker Butch” is going to be the answer there.

5 Likes

Trump’s way of wishing the man well

3 Likes
20 Likes

I’m reminded of why I don’t have a Twitter account.

5% of comments: What was the object the man was holding? Why did they shoot an unarmed man who wasn’t a danger to anyone they were in charge of protecting? How did he approach the officer, turn around, then somehow run towards him?

95% of comments: Woo yeah good job Trump is so brave and you killed that guy like a professional god bless USA USA USA :us: :gun: :boom: :gun: :boom: :gun: :us: :joy:

21 Likes

From the meagre pickings, it could just as easily be that the unnamed person was attempting “suicide by cop”: an attempt to get gunned down on purpose. Because, correct me if I am wrong, the following happened:

1. The person announced he had a weapon.
  2. The person moved an object from clothing into his hand.
  3. The person moved towards the security detail, possibly in an aggressive manner.
  4. The object has not been described, suggesting it was not an actual weapon.

It isn’t much to go on, to be sure. Was the person trying to provoke a deadly response? Or was the person simply trying to create a disturbance?

14 Likes

impossible to believe there is not video of this incident from 500 different angles.

17 Likes

It is being filmed as we type. It will be available after editing is complete.

23 Likes

You’re right, it’s not a lot to go on. There’s also a lot of it that is either extremely subjective, or unverifiable. Considering the record law enforcement has with telling the truth, I’d be hesitant to draw any conclusions, let alone any that justify their violent actions.

9 Likes

Sucks that anyone got shot, but on the plus side…who here didn’t have just the slightest twinge of hope seeing that SS guy come in and quietly tell donny smallhands to “come with me”…? Like just the hoped for beginnings of law enforcement forcing that orange pussy grabbing conman out of the people’s house…like just DO IT already…come in and take him out then straight into a black SUV for a quick trip to an FBI jet then straight to the SDNY!!

4 Likes

But… he acted aggressively, you see! /s

8 Likes

Would you shoot an unarmed person to show your unswerving loyalty to your leader?

If so, you’ve passed the military fascist shibboleth.

6 Likes

45259i

17 Likes

Why not both?

(I mean, it’s not unlike him to tell two different contradictory versions of the same event in the same discussion…)

3 Likes

There’s no way that every entrance to the White House isn’t covered by multiple cameras with multiple views on the surroundings.

12 Likes

Whatever actually happened, I feel confident in saying this will be spun into a campaign spot…
somethingsomethingDEMOCRATSsomethingsomethingOUTOFCONTROLsomethingsomethingLAW&ORDERsomethingsomethingBRAVELEADERsomethingsomething

8 Likes