See the COVID-19 risk level for a Thanksgiving gathering in your US county

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/13/see-the-covid-10-risk-level-for-a-thanksgiving-gathering-in-your-us-county.html

4 Likes

The COVID-19 risk level probably aligns with the rent in your US County, which in my case is too damn high. (@pesco check typo in headline “COVID-10”)

6 Likes

And if you insist on gathering, please gather outside. Wear a mask. Stay six feet apart. Wash your hands. Save room for dessert. shame on you.

3 Likes

I feel like this taps into some areas of risk assessment where humans are not real capable. What does a 2% chance a terrible outcome mean? I recently heard someone explain to me that COVID-19 was a non-issue because only 1:700 people die from it. Assuming this is true, seems small. Except dying is a big, big deal.

Let’s say you walk up to a roller coaster. As the train rolls up, there’s a guy decapitated in your seat. WHAT THE HELL. They mop it off and strap you in anyway. You say to the park, ‘is this common?’ and they say, uh, “Yeah killed ten people this morning. Anyway, enjoy your ride!” That’s your risk of dying of covid.

4 Likes

Yup, I knew I was gonna need this link for BB:

25 Likes

C’mon, it’s safer than this:

What’s the big deal?

6 Likes

You beat me to it.

3 Likes

COVID-10 risk level for a Thanksgiving gathering in your US county

Covid-10!?!?! What now? Jeez, can’t we get past Covid-19 before we start on the next one? :wink:

3 Likes

Covid-10 being the covid strain from 2010, which we apparently forgot about

:scream:

Citation needed. 1:700 is more like flu. COVID is nearer 1.7%, perhaps. Which is about 1:60.

2 Likes

How is the danger level affected by elderly relatives screaming about election fraud and MAGA at the dinner table? Has the volume of extra ballistic spittle and hatred been quantified?

3 Likes

1.7%? To relate that to common events, according to Wikipedia that’s around the odds of winning any prize in the UK National Lottery (2003 rules) with a single ticket or slightly less than the odds of being dealt three of a kind in poker (I assume five card draw.)

I came here to mention the typo, because it scared the crap out of me “Oh god, what’s COVID-10? Is it nine worse than Covid-19?”

2 Likes

And those are the odds of dying. Or were when I could last bear to look. Doesn’t include chances of having lasting physical or psycholical damage, oh no. Would you raise blind to three of a kind?

3 Likes

The first time I loaded the page, the ‘gathering of 20’ map just said ‘server error’. Sounds about right

2 Likes

These percentages aren’t really what matters or acurate to what they claim to be. The risk of spread is way more important than the risk that 1 preson in the group is positive. Also I just checked the risk given for Orleans Parish where I’ll be having Thanksgiving and the map is off by several orders of magnitude

1 Like

ETA: Thank you @VeronicaConnor for keeping me off “the list” today.

7 Likes

Honestly, I’m factoring political affiliation into my decisions. I’m debating bailing on upcoming holiday dinners because my in-laws are all MAGA spouting science deniers who I know are not distancing, masking, or doing anything else responsible. It’s a sure bet some or all of them are carriers. Having the dinners at all is probably irresponsible, which is a conversation I’ll be having with them, probably.

5 Likes

This year I’m thankful that I live together with a group of people that I am content to have thanksgiving with and will not feel bad that no one else will be there. I’m thankful that we all have jobs or school that allow us to conduct our business remotely and I’m thankful that I am lucky enough to be in a situation that is relatively safe from COVID over the Thanksgiving holiday.

3 Likes

Depends on your metric - case fatality rate vs exposure rate vs other metrics. It also obscures permanent disability and people who lived because they spent weeks on a vent keeping them alive. But the point is, it’s killed a quarter million Americans, which is demonstrable societal harm regardless of the individual scenarios.

1 Like