Self-proclaimed Sith Lord arrested for trying to assassinate Queen of England

Originally published at: Self-proclaimed Sith Lord arrested for trying to assassinate Queen of England | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Are we 100% sure that that’s not just Prince Charles in a very clever disguise?

7 Likes

If you are trying to kill the Queen you can as well do it with some style. On the other hand, while Queen Elisabeth is old, she wasn’t even born during the Jallianwala Bagh massacre, so it seems a bit unfair to kill her for that atrocity. Then again, he might have been more interested in attention than in actually killing anyone.

9 Likes

Crossbows are traditional when killing English monarchs.

Also Scottish:

I’m sure there are more.

8 Likes

Preventing incidents like this is why Lord Buckethead needs to be given a real peerage.

13 Likes

I’m sure many actual Sikhs are going “… what?”

13 Likes

Darth Jones may be a Sith, but Jaswant Singh Chail is a Sikh.

3 Likes

I’m guessing he’s not very religious… based on the whole trying to kill someone thing.

4 Likes

that one teacher that says “spelling doesn’t count” on this assignment…and then 15 years later here we are. /s

4 Likes

I believe “Sith” is derived from the Gaelic sidhe, as in “banshee,” and I’m sure it has nothing at all to do with Sikhs

4 Likes

Becoming head of state as a hereditary obligation is another way in which the monarchy is a questionably fair institution; but I think that convention gives pretty broad latitude in terms of treating the head of state(whether monarchical or otherwise chosen) as the de-facto embodiment of the state and its policy for symbolic purposes, whether it be feel-good diplomatic pet-giving or propaganda of the deed.

If Colonel Reginald Dyer hadn’t been dead since 1927 I think he would have ranked above the head of state, on grounds of immediacy; but he’s currently unavailable.

1 Like

Do people really present the queen with pets?

1 Like

Think about it for a moment - at her age, this could be the most interesting way for her reign to end. It would rank right up there with the best and be talked about for ages. If I were the Queen, this would be worth considering.

2 Likes

Also unavailable is Michael O’Dwyer, Lieutenant Governor of Punjab, who was assassinated in 1940 in revenge for the Jallianwala Bagh massacre.

3 Likes

Silly rabbit, doesn’t he know a crossbow is a Wookiee’s weapon?

1 Like

Sikhs don’t seem to rank all that high in terms of general religious bellicosity (Indira Ghandi might disagree); but they definitely aren’t a pacifist operation. They have a long tradition of disproportionately distinguished military activity in India, starting before the British showed up, recruited enthusiastically by the British; and continuing to make up a nontrivial slice of the Indian army and officer corps to this day.

They also had some rocky early history with the Mughal empire that led to the Kirpan becoming an article of faith; and a greater military emphasis generally.

As noted, from everything I’ve read they seem to have a very favorable military-capability/vulgar displays of power ratio; but that’s because the denominator keeps the numerator in check.

7 Likes

2,000 feet is about 8 NY city blocks - on the short side.

He was in the neighborhood.

7 Likes

Reminder: the Sith are bad guys, explicitly, deliberately, and both in and out of the universe. If you are seriously identifying with them, you should stop and rethink your whole life.

5 Likes

The Queen is a bit of a special case, because she has been so active in maintaining her dog collection in-house(I really cannot find it in myself to wade through royal gossip rags to confirm; but I believe that she has, or had until recently, some that are descended from the one she got when she was 18); so there isn’t as much room; but heads of state in general getting pets is definitely a thing.

Putin, for some reason, has pushed it straight into meme territory.

2 Likes

i’m not Sikh, and even I am going “…what?”

6 Likes