Shootout in Oregon: one terrorist killed, eight arrested

There’s still room for criticism of the police’s methods. But it’s mainly because police must be scrutinized all the time.

I’m French. When the Paris attacks started in January 2015 I was one among many who hoped the Kouachi brothers would be taken alive, while not really believing it would happen.

11 Likes

Yeah right?

Cops shooting people is wrong! Unless there’s a good reason like we really don’t like them, and strongly disagree with their ideas. Then it’s OK.

Not great. Just OK. We’d rather you didn’t… But we understand.

Unfortunately it just illustrates that the people here don’t hate the game, just the score.

Us 1, Them 0. Go team liberal peanut gallery. Yay us!

2 Likes

17 Likes

If they had just followed the orders of the police officers, none of this would have happened…

Or is that just applicable to the “blah” people?

7 Likes

Cops shooting unarmed people or people who can easily be handled without resorting to shooting - bad. You’ll see lots of outraged stories about cops shooting people, this is what they have in common.

Cops shooting armed suspects like Finicum who’ve threatened violence against law enforcement - seems like a good enough reason, even if it’s nothing to celebrate.

Like/dislike, agree/disagree - never the reason it’s okay for cops to shoot someone. Ever.

If by “people here” you mean yourself, then yes.

16 Likes

Are you assuming that this was an invalid / illegal use of force?

I assure you - if the video comes out, and it shows that Finicum put his hands up and yelled “Don’t Shoot”, we will as be righteously outraged as if it had happened to anyone else. But that does not, so far, appear to be the case.

If it was a bad shoot, I’ll get upset, and I’ll hope for the cop who shot him to be prosecuted. In the meantime, for those of you keeping score, this is looking like one point for team rule-of-law, zero for team my-guns-mean-I-can-do-whatever-I-like

27 Likes

Nope, you’re spot on. Celebrating someone’s death and wishing for more is pretty inhumane.

3 Likes

Ha-ha.

Its funny cause he died. And we don’t like him.

Mark McConnell, one of the occupiers who wasn’t arrested, says that LaVoy “charged”.

6 Likes

You know Bundy didn’t die, right?

14 Likes

Say what now?

You’re responding to this:

Bundy sort’a went down with a whimper.

1. Bundy didn’t die
  2. “Bundy sort’a went down with a whimper” isn’t an expression of laughter, nor an attempt to provoke it.

Your attempt to blast away at the BoingBoing Libruls keeps missing the target. Probably because the target is your own teeny tiny little straw man.

24 Likes

There’s a difference between “celebrating someone’s death and wishing for more” and simply not minding that they died due to their own stupidity and arrogance and not minding that more people who seem inherently inhumane to others might likewise die by the path they chose. These guys were willing or at least purporting to be willing to kill federal officers all for a temper tantrum. Capture, trial, and imprisonment is preferable, but if they want to go out with a bang (and not take anyone else with them), I’m not going to shed a tear. There are plenty of innocent people who don’t seek death or posture like these guys did who get killed out there.

1 Like

How do you define a “hick”?

I grew up more than a mile outside of a “city” of 5,000 in South Dakota. Am I “hick” ?

Does it help you to feel more humane by dehumanizing people you don’t agree with, or dislike some aspect of?

5 Likes

“Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.” John Stuart Mill

We’re dealing with the latter case here.

6 Likes

Well, there is @CarlMud. He likes hicks getting shot.

And idiots. Don’t forget idiots. WE HATES THEM, WE DOES.

8 Likes

Hick isn’t necessarily a derogatory term where I come from. It’s a cultural one. Culturally, I was raised a hick. At least half my family are hicks.

If you have a problem with being included in that term, don’t label yourself one. I don’t know you and I’m not saying anything about you, so taking offense over my use of a word that includes myself shouldn’t be an issue you make your own.

Ah, yes. That must be it. It couldn’t possibly have anything to do with these guys actively threatening and advocating for killing anyone who might try to make them stop what they were doing.

16 Likes

Take it on the road, they pay good money for comedians.

[note sarcasm]

8 Likes

Not minding arrogant idiots dying due to their own actions and wanting people dead are two different things. You don’t seem to understand nuance very well.

It’s like the difference between accepting a free car if someone wants to give you one and going out and spending money to buy one. I won’t cry when gun-toting criminals pretend they’re revolutionary cowboys and predictably get killed for their arrogance. That doesn’t mean I think the feds should go into the refuge with guns blazing and kill them all.

1 Like