Shootout in Oregon: one terrorist killed, eight arrested

So it’s not that they are hicks that makes you wish more of them had died.

To me, you don’t seem very nuanced. But perhaps that’s because I’m an unsophisticated, boorish, and provincial person.

2 Likes

The Reich Wing Loonies are here, round lunch they should scatter for FUX NEWS COMEDY CHANNEL updates.

2 Likes

I am a boingboing librul.

And I got the facts behind my point wrong.

But my argument is don’t fucking celebrate when the tables get turned and start acting like they did the ‘right thing’ cause you enjoyed the outcome.

Because law enforcement kills a whole lot of people in the US and this is just one more.

Here too I doubt they handled it well. Well compared to normal standard operating procedure? Yes. They didn’t intentionally fire tear gas known to cause fires into the building they were holed up in. That’s something…

But…

I’d like to read… Y’all Queda arrested. In custody. One got shot with a taser from a drone when he went all Yosemite Sam and thought he was a minuteman.

Or Y’all Queda falls to long standing seige. Got hungry. They’re tired and undernourished from trying to live on dick shaped mint rations, and will face trial and all. They realized their guns wouldn’t help.

I’d like every story to read that way because I’m a strong proponent of people not getting killed by law enforcement.

7 Likes

Aw is it all done? now I have to scrap my plans to try and become the 3rd largest supplier of bags of dicks! I guess it’s not so bad, there is bound to be stiff (ha) competition in the bag of dick business, but still, what’ll I do with all these bags of dicks?

https://www.google.ca/search?q=buy+a+bag+of+dicks&oq=buy+a+bag+of+dicks

Who am I kidding, the list of entities that would benefit from sending/receiving a bag of dicks for the purpose of consuming is…long…and getting longer (HA)

2 Likes

No. No more than I want my hick relatives killed. Why would hick be a designation that someone would want people dead for? I’m just opposed to gun-toting terrorists who think they can bully others and just assert their will because they have guns and a flimsy understanding of Constitutional law and a glaring hypocrisy for relying on taxpayer funded programs that are run by the government they seek to disrupt. They happen to be hicks as far as I can tell, so the term seemed appropriate.

If you’re offended by that, you should ask why you think I was talking about you. And it should occur to you that I wasn’t and you’re turning this into being about you. If you want to indulge in a persecution complex, I’d prefer that you not pretend like I know or care about you enough to waste the time to persecute you.

Notably since your arrival.

yes, attention hounds are like that. Woof.

7 Likes

You’re waaaaay more focused on the one dead militant than the general commentariat consensus here is.

5 Likes

Because I feel it’s super fucking important we don’t forget that the problem of Law Enforcement shooting people is WAY larger than a few idjits in Oregon.

And maybe I’m seeing an issue where there’s not one. Great!

1 Like

Yes, since we don’t know yet what this militant did when faced with arrest, you do seem to be (ahem) jumping the gun.

7 Likes

8 Likes

I’m sorry, but you could you refresh my memory? What librul group recently occupied a facility while backing up their occupation with the explicit threat of armed violence?

Wouldn’t that have to go back to the early 70s?

8 Likes

It’s not over. Seven ringleaders were arrested and one was killed, but the refuge is still occupied by a few dozen armed whackos.

Interesting that the arrestees are lodged in the Multnomah County jail. That’s in Portland, halfway across the state in our largest metropolitan area. I guess the sheriffs didn’t want militants storming the local jail.

8 Likes

The Guardian keeping tabs of police shootings is important, but I think you’re conflating two issues. The comments I’ve read posted by non-Americans in the Guardian about this particular event illustrate a general confusion by the Fed’s infinite patience.

I believe most people are relieved that the Malheur takeover is just about over, with a minimum of deaths (one) thus far. Usually, these events end very poorly.

3 Likes

You’re certainly responding at great length, and unilaterally using words and phrases like “offended” and “persecution complex”. (Until now. So it’s bilateral - curious, no?)

Regardless of your preferences, I do not think that I am not pretending anything right now, except to the throne.

I also would not have minded winning the Powerball. My statement of such should not lead anyone to think that I would actually have wanted to win the Powerball, or wished to win the Powerball. I’d prefer that you not pretend like you care to know that carefully and pretentiously, no, I do not, now, y’know?

You do know no gnus is good news, nu?

4 Likes

From what I’ve read about these terrsts, that sounds quite accurate.

4 Likes

But the problem is that you unhappy about something that isn’t happening. There are 70-ish comments. You can read them all. Make a spreadsheet, note the number that say it’s good that someone died. Note the number that say it’s bad that someone died. There is one commenter with a few comments in this thread who expresses indifference to the death, none that say it was good. I count 11 comments that actively express regret about the death or relief that they were able to accomplish this without more deaths. The rest don’t comment on the death but on other aspects of the standoff or arrest (or argue about whether this characterization is fair).

I feel like you read @OldDutchman’s comment about us being happy that a white person was shot and took his word for it despite the fact that no one is expressing that point of view. There’s no celebration of someone getting shot going on here to complain about. Before you say something like:

You ought to check whether anything in the real world supports that assertion.

29 Likes

Oh, that was a doozie and a half.

[note zero sarcasm]

2 Likes

I 0% support what these guys are doing, but in the interest of journalism can we take a look at your writing? [quote=“doctorow, post:1, topic:72851”]
Michele Fiore, a Nevada Assemblywoman with ties to the terrorists
[/quote]
vs the linked article’s “Nevada Assemblywoman Michele Fiore… has been a vocal supporter of the Bundy family.” Less ambiguous, less hyperbolic. It looks like you’re calling the Assemblywoman a terrorist herself.

There are a lot of things wrong here, there’s no need to make this about racism too. And I can’t help but feel calling it martyrdom is invoking religion as a motivation for what they’re up to.

This entire affair is tragic on all sides, let’s not make every single thing an exercise in vilification.

This is why we need stricter gnu control laws.

14 Likes