Singer murders National Anthem at CPAC

IIRC, they’re still waiting for Trump to pay them!

2 Likes

Singer stuns #CPAC with unexpectedly avant-garde tribute to Charles Ives and Frank Zappa with radical key changes and use of dissonant microtones.

A John Cage 4:33’ type treatment would have been better.

5 Likes

I like Alban Berg. (I never bring him up at parties, though.)

2 Likes

She has a better voice than me, for sure. Without accompaniment, I probably would have some wandering key problems as well. I’d like to think fewer, though.

Still much better than my father, who has 3 notes he is able to hit: High, Medium and Low. He also has one volume: Loud.

1 Like

Please tell me where you found this abomination. It’s amazing(ly terrible).

2 Likes

Who can say by the end of a day!

socialmedia

2 Likes

You read my mind… I was going to find that clip. Now I’d like the Star Mangled singer here to cover this…

the way she starts out on a sortof G and then finishes on sortof that same sortof G except an octave higher suggests that she is in control of things and this can’t be blamed on external technical problems

Roseanne’s was better

Camera operator pans up and down the flag as as they calculate the trajectory required to take the singer out

That was my thought. Or that no one truly competent was willing to work with them.
I would never tie the validity of a political party to celebrity endorsement, but I do think it’s really telling that of the whole raft of people who’ve been able to make a career in the arts (visual, audio, etc.) so few of them are willing to sell their talents for the trash that the GQP has come to represent.

5 Likes

Thank you for your service.

7 Likes

I heard it was bad, but I wasn’t ready.

I’ve read through all the speculation in this thread about why this might have happened: bribery, nepotism, incompetence, etc. I think maybe it was just fascism.

I was just thinking of what would happen if Mussolini had sent a niece up to sing at a national event and niece was terrible from some outside perspective. If you did anything other than enthusiastically applaud, you’d be dead. So the performance was good.

There’s no bribery, no nepotism and no incompetence in fascism, there is only power. I’ve been thinking a lot about this lens. I think it was Rove who sneered at the “reality-based community” and pointed out that as an empire, you make your own reality. I don’t think the reality-based community successfully synthesized the fragment of truth in that statement because we were too busy recoiling from it.

I’m not saying this was x-dimensional chess. Slime mold grows into a map of the Tokyo subway system. Fascism isn’t just a political strategy, it’s a set of values, and those values affect all decision making. If they run the country like fascists, they are going to hire singers like fascists, buy groceries like fascists and raise their kids like fascists.

But also

11 Likes

All keys matter.

1 Like

No way. You can dislike the arrangement and the embellishments, you can debate the timber of her voice if you like, but Fergie stayed on key the whole way through.

The only key she might have stayed on was if she was standing on her car keys.

1 Like

I sprayed my computer at 1:11.

1 Like

Republicans do tend to be tone deaf, don’t they?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.