Singer murders National Anthem at CPAC

This is further evidence of the collapse of the GOP and trumpism. The singing of the National Anthem is a sacred ritual to America and is performed as a symbol of strength and unity. The fact that they got a performer that has nether celebrity nor talent, and was given near zero support ( a cappella was a doubly bad choice) shows their continued decent into disorganization and incompetence.
Donnie is truly out of his element :wink:

9 Likes

Yes. Maybe this is the x-dimensional chess thing, in which we all talk about someone struggling to sing a hard song rather than all the evil underfoot.

This seems a tad misogynistic, assuming she couldn’t have gotten the gig without the help of an older person/man.

You think she got it because of her looks? /s
It seems fair to assume she didn’t get the gig because of her experience and expertise in singing the national anthem, as much as I agree that that narrative is tired (if also reflective of the reality of the Republican party, which combines nepotism, incompetence, and a view of women as an (subordinate and hot-swappable) extension of the male self.)

CPAC: Destroying all things American since 1973.

4 Likes

Sung in the key of Q.

25 Likes

Well, I think it is possible she is a good (enough) signer and got nervous performing in front of a larger audience than she has in the past, or there was a technical problem with the audio that threw her off key. Or not, it could be that she just isn’t a very good signer. But I don’t like that everyone jumps to “her parents, relatives donated a lot of money” – which is certainly possible but it could also be that she donated money herself, or that or that she was just working hard organizing CPAC and it was given the chance as a reward, or at the last minute they realized “oh crap, we forgot to plan for the national anthem” and she asked to do it because she has more enthusiasm than talent.

I have no idea how it happened, but in my experience most performances of the national anthem are pretty bad because it is a hard to sing song that has been performed so many times and so many ways that everyone feels the need to not just sing it, but embellish it. I suspect the most common reason is that the people organizing events don’t know much about singing or music and they just pick someone.

4 Likes

I offer this as a palate cleanser.

24 Likes

Pointing out the ineptitude of the gop is (unfortunately) such low hanging fruit nowadays - I can’t even muster any disdain when I see it. The rest of their bag-o-tricks however…

3 Likes

I’m ashamed to say I’ve now been to her YouTube videos singing covers of show tunes. She is quite off key on all of them.

I don’t like that everyone jumps to “her parents, relatives donated a lot of money” – which is certainly possible but it could also be that she donated money herself, or that or that she was just working hard organizing CPAC and it was given the chance as a reward

From comments her mother has made recently on said videos, that last guess seems extremely likely.

4 Likes

I admit only a passing familiarity so maybe I shouldn’t mention I thought of Alban Berg.

1 Like

Gaga did it in mixed meter (but like on purpose):

also good stuff from Neely:

I feel sorry that they let that poor girl get up there and do that. It was a perfectly typical example of the song at a double A baseball game and she probably didn’t realize that the criticism would be so different. It’s a hard song to sing.

4 Likes

Just the freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Dropbox - freeeeeeeeeee.mp3 - Simplify your life

the best take https://youtu.be/hf0dcMH4N5U

2 Likes

with Les Dawson on piano…

1 Like

Sounds a little more like his teacher, Schoenberg.

3 Likes

The Star Strangled Banner

6 Likes

WTF? Weren’t the USA Freedom Kids available?

No? What about Prussian Blue?

4 Likes

Turns out she has a youtube channel with similar results

And of course her application video

1 Like

C’mon ya’ll! This is the best that Kimberly Guilfoyle says is yet to come.

6 Likes

Typical conservative display - confidently incorrect delivery, and heralded as a new high water mark from other conservatives who are also confidently incorrect.

3 Likes

Gah! That video was cursed and now everything smells like cat piss and blood!

1 Like