"Slight Incline/Very Scary" Caution signs go up around Brooklyn, NY

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/15/slight-incline-very-scary.html

9 Likes

Re the Ted Cruz bonus track: they have a point.
cd74652f411565929f72eaa4f648f3ca08b67de9_1_375x500

5 Likes

But…

… inclines don’t go down(?)

17 Likes

Oh you, and your Slippery Slop arguments!

42 Likes

WASHINGTON- Arguing that “there’s something going on” with the nation’s sloping surfaces, Donald J. Trump has ordered Attorney General Bill Barr to launch a Department of Justice investigation into the United States’s vast collection of ramps.

“It’s something we’re looking into quite strongly,” Trump told reporters on the South Lawn of the White House. “Ramps have treated me very unfairly.”

The decision to probe the nation’s ramps came after a night of Trump feverishly retweeting anti-ramp conspiracy theories, including one claiming that George Soros had plotted to make American ramps steeper and slipperier than they were during Barack Obama’s Presidency.

Trump told reporters that he was also considering signing an executive order requiring all ramps to have an incline of zero degrees, rendering them completely flat.

“Those would be perfect ramps,” he said.

Responding to this proposal, CNN’s Jim Acosta asked if, by making ramps flat, Trump would in effect be making the nation’s ramps no longer ramps at all.

“You’re a terrible person,” Trump replied. The Borowitz Report

47 Likes

This is ableist and I’m disappointed that Boingboing is sharing this.

3 Likes

Trump is in decline.

36 Likes

I’m inclined to agree with you.

28 Likes

For what it’s worth, I also don’t find this all that productive. There are lots of good reasons to dislike Trump, that Trump suffering some sort of bodily decline and being defensive about it is pretty low on the list. I don’t think trying to match Trump’s mean spiritedness buys anyone anything. I’d rather focus on the real things of substance that make Trump suck.

5 Likes

Reminder: the ramp thing wasn’t really a big story until Trump made it one by ranting about it on Twitter.

The story here isn’t “70something man struggles to walk down ramp.” The story is “President of the United States angrily takes to Twitter to complain that he’s being victimized by scary ramps as the nation is torn apart by police violence, social and economic strife and a disease pandemic that has claimed around 115,000 American lives.”

51 Likes

Yeah, but who cares? There are real things going on. That Trump has a cripplingly fragile ego isn’t news to anyone. It’s just wasted energy over stuff that doesn’t matter. It’s just pointless noise that sounds mean spirited to anyone not laughing. Being distracted by this stuff is so utterly useless.

I fucking hate Trump for what a worthless reality TV show he has turned all politics into, and he just drags everyone in. That, or maybe we already sucked dragged him in. Who the fuck knows? Either way, I hate it.

So pranksters can’t mock a shockingly unfit President’s fragile ego until we’ve fixed all the other problems facing our nation?

I don’t want the actual mechanisms of government and media and general accountability to grind to a halt over #watergait but if some internet jokesters want to have a go at it I see no reason to discourage them.

32 Likes

I think it’s perfectly hilarious in Brooklyn. Then we drag it onto social media, share it a few million times around the world, and then this becomes the story.

No one story is to blame. No one social media post made politics vapid. It’s just a general trend. Policy is more and more about culture and personality than policy. It’s just depressing.

1 Like

We can go after Trump for his policy debacles, criminal corruption, cartoonish incompetence, abject cruelty, malignant sociopathy, diminishing cognitive ability and general unfitness for office at the same time. It’s not an either/or thing.

30 Likes

Agree that this is abelist, however, he spoke about it on Twitter and he’s repeatedly had his doctor issue statements calling him the Fittest most Healthy US President in the History of the Country.

8 Likes

Up next: Rose Garden signing ceremony of an executive order repealing the Americans with Disabilities Act.

I’m only half joking. As a real estate developer he would love this.

7 Likes

I believe the proper term is “manifestly unfit” 'round these parts, no?

10 Likes

I must decline to respond to that.

3 Likes

okayjlaw

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/15/politics/donald-trump-ramp-west-point-speech/index.html

15 Likes

Personally, I can keep track of a few hundred things to dislike Trump about, so this makes the list regardless.

17 Likes