Spectacular Blade Runner fanfilm, made for less than $1,500

I was going to suggest a few commandline arguments to get it zoomed in right, but asking Chris for the render you can use and a couple of showing licenses for 13 or whoever fits might be better.

Here, have the link talking about the computer made of just memories. (Gray-1 via HN.)
Would still have been planning to be thrilled if the line was ‘Do you like our owl?’

IsB>Soundtrack 'too digital’
So ask for the processor settings they like for the proof monitor…? Chris?

dK> …your basically putting the value of everyone’s time and talent at $0.
Best check in with our friends at RoyalBS.com?
What would come from saying ‘and nontaxable embochure est. $1522/mo. from 4 people’ other than say, owing clubs-EBITDA (in South Africa) on $320k and having to estimate CAGR for a GAC {$license} output. Is there a broadsheet for not making a Double Cambodia just to front lower nonprofit exposure (under $2k/yr.?)

4 Likes

Having not gone to film school, but being an audio geek, I thought the cinematography and directing was completely awesome, and the soundtrack/sound design left me picking up a lot of things I would do differently. (To be fair, a lot of hollywood productions leave me feeling that way about the sound design, too.)

It’s interesting how you can’t stop nitpicking once you can hear exactly what someone’s doing.

1 Like

Hey Chris, welcome to Boing Boing!

Your film is incredible, I absolutely loved it, and Siddhartha did an amazing job on the soundtrack. Just close enough to the iconic sounds of the original without feeling forced.

Apparently the unsolicited expert advice you are receiving here is all being provided to you free of charge. You must be thrilled! :wink:

4 Likes

Off topic but, have you seen The Conversation with Gene Hackman? Thats my

##Oh My…

film for sound design.

Thank you!

Great to get some outsider thoughts on the project, both constructive and destructive.

6 Likes

It’s great work, with great ambition, that pays due tribute to one of my all time favourite films. I hope Ridley Scott can meet the challenge! All the best to you Chris :slight_smile:

1 Like

I haven’t. I need to check it out.

Just about my favorite films for sound design are the リング and 呪怨, and among the most memorably cringeworthy are The Lord of the Rings films.

Blade Runner had a great soundtrack, and while I suspect that nowadays you could get arbitrarily close to those sounds with digital soft-synths, it would require a masterful touch.

1 Like

Agreed. Not just the soundtrack but the atmosphrics, wide variety of how dialogue was done, etc. Its one of those films that I sometimes have on just to hear.

3 Likes

Thanks. I just felt that a complete clone of the look of Blade Runner, like panning lights etc, is not enough to make this story worth telling. I felt something slightly similar but fresh would work and allow the story to show itself rather than “oooh look they copied the exact look” make sense? 2049 looks the same but is unique in the same way, I like it so far. Thanks for the comments.

1 Like

Hi there,

I hear what you’re saying, but see it from the inside.

I work in the industry, as an editor & DIT/camera tech, I have done my fair share of “free”, and I have given my expensive gear out for “free”. Next week some students are using my gear for a project, I believe in helping and asking for help. I have made my fair share of short films, and they are all funded out of my day job as well as my mates from school. I asked for help and never expected it. I did not force anyone to work. I have worked overtime on a 12 hour day and waivered extra pay just to get the project done.

I have supported many films on Kickstarter and seen nothing in return. Does it bother me? Eh. Will I give other artists some of my hard earned money? Yes. You bet your ass! We are in this together until someone solicits work and provides a budget.

In fact, the camera was supplied to us for “free”, but I had to work off the monetary value off after the fact. I went out as the DIT on many shoots with the camera paying back that rental value. I agreed to the deal. We are not out to screw anyone, the “exec producers” you see, I went to high school & film school with them. Most do not even work in the industry. I begged for money to make this. We shot 16 pages in a 48 hour period, I covered crew and cast expenses and paid for everything that could not be offered for “free” Full rates? No. Nobody was forced to work on this. I cannot emphasize how small in scope this project was at the time of making it. The end product does not represent that because I agonised over it for five years.

This is a fan film. I have seen wedding videos with more production value and probably more money on the screen.

This cost me five years of my time. Five years. I was willing to wait on people who would help out a little after hours for a few hours a month to get this complete. Just because it cost $1500 does not mean it is worth that amount - I know that difference.

Chris

8 Likes

Haven’t seen it, but I may check it out

1 Like

Wow. This is a fine bit of work.

Nice article but it needs a spoiler warning about the movie

For a forty-year-old movie?

1 Like

Considering that it gives away not only the turning point but exactly how the turning point functions? Yeah.

I think people are misunderstanding my key objection. It is not the fact that people are volunteering time and treasure to make something cool. It is the misleading headlines" and this only cost 1500 dollars". No it was 1500 dollars cash out of pocket and X amount of time provided by skilled professionals which were put into actual dollars comes out to Y. I went with a little over 1K per finished minute.

Most short narrative is made on a wing and a prayer. I get it, and good for you guys it looks great. Again it is not the fact that you called in favors and put this together. That is awesome. It is the press going on about this or other like projects that it only cost 1500 bucks which implies that anyone can do it. Which is not the case.

2 Likes

Because EP credits are something you can give away for free and get actual money for them instead.

For projects like this the payment (or return on your investment) is the credit itself. Actors aren’t getting paid, editors aren’t getting paid, craft services aren’t being paid, but what they do get at the end is the ability to point to a well crafted thing that has been well received and say “see, that’s me, that’s my work” and put it on a resume and on IMDB.

If someone wants to become an EP and be seen as someone who can garner money and wrangle others to do so, they need to work their way up the same as anyone else, so they need to prove they have done it before and understand how things work.

1 Like

And frankly, I don’t think anyone is saying you are the one going around crowing about the budget. The concern is that producers and the like hear about this impossible budget number without knowing about your years of work and just assume that the Good-Low Cost-Fast equation has changed and they can get all three.

Now, if the headline said “made for less than $1500 over five years” I’d have less problems with the headline as well. People get excited about digital filmmaking because there’s “no cost” to the film developing anymore without accepting that the actual cost of film is and always will be the time of the people who work on it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.