Star Trek is returning to network television

REALLY! I didn’t know that. I have to say that DS9 might be my favorite ST show overall. It had a shaky first season, but they got to explore some interesting issues on colonization/decolonization, cold wars, etc in that series.

4 Likes

The “network television” part sounds like a terrible idea.

Science fiction on network television means executives micromanaging the show, means airing episodes out of order, means cancelling the whole thing without warning and for no rational reason.

If somebody is going to do Star Trek on television again, it should be AMC or HBO or somebody with a track record of doing multi-season long-form drama and not fucking it completely up.

You know what, I don’t actually care.

What people liked about Star Trek had nothing to do with the actual intellectual property under discussion in this article. Star Trek was a particular implementation of a public-domain idea. Rocky Jones: Space Ranger and Forbidden Planet did it first, and anybody could pick up the ball and do their own thing with it, and if it doesn’t have Vulcans and Klingons in it then that would probably be an improvement at this point.

2 Likes

They didn’t admit it, but there a long list of characters and situations DS9 lifted from the B5 treatment.

Some times they didn’t even change the names. (One of those first B5 episodes featured a seedy bar with girls from the planet “Dabo”. The DS9 writers put in a seedy bar with “Dabo girls”. In B5 the humans had recently been in a war with another race, who’s leader was named Dukat. In DS9 the humans had recently been in a war with another race, who’s representative was named Dukat. Etc.)

3 Likes

Wait, are you calling Quarks bar “seedy”?

Was the B5 Dukat as smarmy and entertaining as the DS9 Dukat, who spends all his time when he makes an appearance on the station trying to get into Kira’s pants until he decides to steal a Klingon Bird of Prey and go to war with the Klingon empire?

But seriously, that’s really interesting. I suppose if I had gotten around to watching B5 I would have picked up on that… It was on the TV during the years I was sans TV, I believe, though, so I missed it.

6 Likes

6 Likes

But Jadzia! Kira! Sisko! Bashir’s wacky antics! QUARK AND ODO SNIPING!!! the O’Brien family! And double of course, Jadzia and Worf!!!

10 Likes

Also: Worf + Deana > Worf + Anyone!

6 Likes

Okay… from your two gifs… it seems a bit like… your favourite Star Trek was… Voyager?

6 Likes

7 Likes

My favorite Star Trek movies are the three with laser swords :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

I dunno… Worf and Troi were just kind of… weird. Jadzia and Worf, though.

4 Likes

TBH I only liked alternate timeline Troi and Worf.
And Jadzia got on my nerves… did not like. Only the tribble episode.

2 Likes

“The Trouble With Trills”?

2 Likes

That’s one person that liked it, then.

1 Like

No, Trials and Tribble-ations.

That was fun, cuz it didn’t happen on the damn station!

6 Likes

That probably could be amazing I just think the setting would make it so different from its material origins people would wonder who the show is for (great potential for themes of personal conflict which is star trek 101 but the lack of aliens and nebulas would make it feel very un-trek-like). My inner trek timeline isn’t up to speed but could the augmented humans (Kahn etc.) have origins during this period? (feels like a natural extension of the super soldier theme)

2 Likes

See, but I did like that about the series! It allowed them to get a bit deeper into Bajorian culture and history, the effects of the occupation, etc. I also liked that they were on the front lines with the Dominion stuff. And they did do some traveling episodes, with the Defiant (which was basically just Worf’s apartment once he joined the show).

I liked Jadzia, actually.

7 Likes

I’m only watching if they turn it into a comedy.

11 Likes

I liked Ezri.

Anyway…

DS9 was definitely my favourite series. B5 was messed around something chronic on the UK schedules, late-night, early- morning, Friday, Sunday…couldn’t keep track although I liked what I saw.

Voyager (especially early Voyager) was dreadful. Enterprise was worse.

13 Likes

6 Likes