Stephen Colbert explains Jesus' position on ripping children from their parents to Jeff Sessions

Oh, Trump definitely has places reserved in probably at least 7 of 9 circles, depending on whether you feel well-done steaks with ketchup count as a sin. The only one I don’t think you could make a case for is Limbo.

(That’s where the Canadians go. /s)

8 Likes

You know what’s scary?
Godwin’s Law no longer applies to our world now.

17 Likes

I’m hip; all this shit is so horrifically surreal.

20 Likes

Being that racist is essentially a form of brain damage and altered perception.

Really it’s a delusional disorder at sessions’ level

2 Likes

It says you love your fellow man. Doesn’t say anything about subhumans. There’s no conflict.

2 Likes

I think he’s using this one

5 Likes

We used to sing it like this:

Jesus loves the little children, all the little children of the world.
Whether yellow , black ,or white, they are precious to his sight.
Unless they’re illegal, and then he thinks they suck.

7 Likes

Don’t forget his assumption that taco bowls are a Mexican delicacy.

2 Likes

Which is to say, brain-damaged.

2 Likes

The problem with your comment is there are some people who won’t read it as sarcasm.

Dehumanizing other people ‘who don’t look like us’ is at the crux of many of the problems here.

5 Likes

I strongly disagree. We have to stop thinking of people who make the choice to believe in such ideas as “mentally ill” because it lets society and history off the hook. It’s not a personal pathology or a mental illness. Up until fairly recently, it was common sense. It can be changed on a societal level, but not if we keep imagining it’s some sort of sickness.

24 Likes

Maybe he was concussed when he was tossed out of the Keebler tree?

2 Likes

Agreed; bigotry is taught, it’s socialized, and if left unchecked, it’s normalized.

13 Likes

Right. While their opinions are usually based on misinformation, lies, half-truths, or anecdotes with too much weight - they aren’t necessarily illogical if you go off the premise that their assumptions are TRUE. This doesn’t make them RIGHT, but they aren’t crazy.

4 Likes

Could be that, but maybe, again, its just so much overcompensation for a tiny dictionary.

1 Like

Also, associating sick ideologies with mental illness only reinforces negative stereotypes about the mentally ill.

Bingo. We’ve seen how quickly that can happen, too.

16 Likes

It would be nice if a substantial number of the children who have gone “missing” were actually discretely returned off-the-books to their families, but that would probably be too much to hope for.

3 Likes

Lovely shoutout to Samantha Bee at the end there. :+1:

2 Likes

Yes, they’re a bunch of hypocritical fuckers. But if I never have to hear again about biblical justifications or rationalizations for laws or political positions, it’ll be too soon.

I don’t care what the Bible says about whatever.

3 Likes

I don’t know which is more infuriating:

• Sessions quoting his Bible, when, as the Attorney General of a non-theocratic democracy he should be citing applicable laws. Neither Rain Nor Sleet Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion-- It’s the first one! Seinfeld? Anyone?
  • or, that Sessions appears so gleeful and complacent when he quotes his Bible.
16 Likes