Steve Bannon calls left-wing reporter out of the blue and unloads on alt-right and GOP

Again, a nuclear strike is soooo unlikely that it isn’t worth losing sleep about.

1. I still don’t think Trump is that unhinged.

2. Like I said, soldiers aren’t robots. Launching at NK would have serious repercussions. It COULD even trigger systems in Russia to Launch. I don’t think ANYONE wants to be the one whose actions cause a retaliation that may include a nuclear bomb on a city where they or their loved ones live.

Your examples of cluster bombs or even drone strikes and the like aren’t even in the same world as a nuclear strike. An unprovoked nuclear strike would see the entire world condemn you.

I am not saying we shouldn’t be at all concerned, nor that it isn’t possible, it is jut very, very unlikely and I sincerely hope you aren’t really worried about this. Worry isn’t good for your health and you are much, much more likely to die commuting to work at this point… not that you should worry about that either.

1 Like

Of COURSE they would say they will obey such an order. That doesn’t mean they will. Did you think they would advertise that they would NOT obey such an order?

I’m not saying they will or won’t. I can’t tell the future. I’m only saying they HAVE to say they will.

1 Like

One of the links I did was to the head of the Coast Guard who flat out said if given the order he won’t follow it.

What the rest of the services are doing is a bit of passive resistance. They are banking on Cheeto being impatient, lazy and incompetent when it comes to implementing his ideas past a Tweet. Killing it with silence and forcing Trump to spend effort laying out a plan he has never given much thought to.

My example was to point out that the bigger the war crime, the more people killed, ironically the less likely it was to be prosecuted.

Right at this moment? No. After his polls start falling even lower, after Breitbart starts going after him, after more and more former allies turn against him, as investigations uncover his illegal business practices, as impeachment comes closer and closer, when more extreme military actions seem like they might buck up support? I’m not afraid of him launching nukes at NK out of the blue, but accidentally ratcheting up tensions to the point where he interprets the situation as calling for them (influenced by everything else going on). Could anyone legally stop him? No.

Right, because legally they must. While they are people of intelligence and conscience in the military, it also selects for people who take orders. It’s not to say they’ll blindly follow them - the Cuban Missile Crisis didn’t end with the world in radioactive rubble because a Soviet captain said, “Fuck this, this is insane, I’m ignoring orders.” But that doesn’t happen very often.

Yeah, but passive resistance to policy changes is different from disobeying direct orders, and that was also when there was not only no policy (a tweet isn’t an order or actionable policy change), but it wasn’t clear the White House would even try to issue a policy directive about it.

1 Like

It’s happen several times at the height of the cold war. There was a Russian who had an alarm saying missiles were launched and he was supposed to report as such, but didn’t. Multiple times NORAD said the Russians had launched a full assault.

We are in the middle of the most peaceful times in human history. With our hands not so near the button. Sorry I have faith in humanity not following an order to nuke NK.

As for legal recourse - first off - legal schmegal. They just don’t do it. Again, people aren’t robots. This isn’t like the Nazis where you have a loyal base in control of a rabidly loyal army, he is hemorrhaging followers. He got push back from the armed forces over Transgendered personnel. TRANSGENDERED! If they aren’t going to goosestep in line over a group of people who weren’t even allowed to sere until recently, i don’t think they are going to mindlessly carry out an order to nuke NK.

Furthermore, if Trump starts going down that path not only is Impeachment a possibility, but there is a way to remove him if he is not longer fit to serve. We won’t legally be with no options if he turned into a raving lunatic.

So, please poor a nice glass of Scotch or what ever, and tune into a favorite show, and rest easier. I just watched the new leaked GoT episode and it was epic, but what ever your poison. Marvel’s Defenders is out today on Netflix.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.