Steve Bannon calls left-wing reporter out of the blue and unloads on alt-right and GOP

I wish!!!

Much like his golfing, if Cheeto had an overdeveloped predilection for chasing White House Intern tail, he would be too distracted from being presidential and turning the country into a shithole. Win-Win for all of us.

1 Like

I agree, but this “explanation” doesn’t smell any more honest to me.

3 Likes

It all stinks to high heaven…

4 Likes

I can never figure out if stuff like this is just flailing or carefully coordinated. Either way, the effect seems to work to the administration’s benefit when the media handles it like business as usual. We’re in the fog of war, now.

2 Likes

That reminds me of a great Spinal Tap quote:

“For the review of Rock and Roll Creation, we have the this. On what did did God create Spinal Tap and couldn’t he have just rested on that one instead.”

2 Likes

Really, what is this?
Diversion? Smokescreen? Some sort of gambit? Was he on drugs? Was he off drugs? Has he lost a bet? Is this an opening move to internal purges?
You know who’s opinion I’d like to hear about this? Karl Rove’s.

5 Likes

You might have noticed that the military ain’t a democracy. There are no checks and balances - even if the president ordered a strike on a country with which we are not at war, there’s nothing anyone could do to stop him. (People have recently written articles on the subject that some searching could turn up.) As mentioned, there’s no legal mechanism that allows anyone to ignore his orders, nor have any military commanders indicated they wouldn’t obey his commands - quite the opposite, in fact. Even the block put in place that prevented Nixon in his darkest hour from launching nuclear strikes in a drunken fit is not in place - and wasn’t official or legal at the time, either.
Which means the president, in one of his fits of idiocy, can indeed trigger a conflict with North Korea that in a matter of minutes would kill orders of magnitude more people than the first Korean War, and we can’t stop him as long as he sits in the White House.

3 Likes

Bannon hoped that the Democrats continued to make Republican racism a centerpiece of their pitch: “If the left is focused on race and identity, and we go with economic nationalism, we can crush the Democrats.”

This is pretty scary, since there’s a good chance he’s right. That’s certainly how the last election played out. I hope the batshit crazy nature of their “identity” will push things the other way next time, but I wouldn’t bet on it.

2 Likes

"nor have any military commanders indicated they wouldn’t obey his commands "

Actually they have been doing just that when it came to Trump’s Transgender ban by Twitter. They are being coy about it, but it still amounted to a middle finger to the President’s plans.

8 Likes

This has got to be some kind of joke or a scam. This alcohol-sodden shitball has spent years selling race hatred like cabbages and doing everything he could to advance the cause of turning this country into the 4th Reich, and now all of a sudden out of the clear blue nowhere, he calls someone and proceeds to go on a rant that basically contradicts everything he’s ever said? Yeah. Sure. Riiiiiiiiiight.

2 Likes

Wrong. The Uniform Code of Military Justice makes it perfectly clear that NO service member is excused from carrying out illegal orders. Personal responsibility is always maintained. If a service member is given an order he believes is illegal, he is actually required to disobey. Doing so is terribly dangerous, yes, but in the military, “I was only obeying orders” is NOT a legal defense.

2 Likes

So the cat’s out of the bag concerning this administration’s MO of throwing a flaming bag of turds away from what folks should be looking at, then…

Not that I expect it to make a lick of difference

Who is it?

poop-bag-200x300

Bannon shit.

2 Likes

I am not a military lawyer but:

The military oath taken at the time of induction reads:

The military oath taken at the time of induction reads:
“I,____________, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to the regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God”

The Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ) 809[890].ART.90 (20), makes it clear that military personnel need to obey the “lawful command of his superior officer,” 891.ART.91 (2), the “lawful order of a warrant officer”, 892.ART.92 (1) the “lawful general order”, 892.ART.92 (2) “lawful order”. In each case, military personnel have an obligation and a duty to only obey Lawful orders and indeed have an obligation to disobey Unlawful orders, including orders by the president that do not comply with the UCMJ. The moral and legal obligation is to the U.S. Constitution and not to those who would issue unlawful orders, especially if those orders are in direct violation of the Constitution and the UCMJ.

Thus I don’t believe anyone is obligated to follow an order they considered to be unlawful.

I don’t believe any one of the heads of the pentagon would follow an order that reckless. Why? Contrary to popular belief, the military is not run by robots. The people who make up the military are generally rational, thinking people. At least twice nuclear war has been averted because those in charge deduced it was probably a false alarm, ignoring protocols which would have launched a retaliation.

They also care about their men and their families and people in America. That is why they do what they do. Doing something that would necessarily put 28.5k Americans in danger in South Korea, or anyone on the mainland is a strong incentive to refuse to carry out what ever hypothetically crazy order one is thinking of.

Furthermore, Trump isn’t crazy either. Like I said, if only a fraction of American solider died, plus all the South Koreans fatalities, plus plunging Asian markets in to chaos, which would fuck up our economy - you’re going to have all but the most stringent kool aid drinkers abandon you.

He has incentive and relative safety dick waving, with out needing to actually go through with it.

I am not saying there is a zero percent chance, but I am not losing any sleep over it and I hope you and everyone else aren’t either.

3 Likes

[citation needed]

6 Likes

Blockquote “There’s no military solution [to North Korea’s nuclear threats], forget it. Until somebody solves the part of the equation that shows me that ten million people in Seoul don’t die in the first 30 minutes from conventional weapons, I don’t know what you’re talking about, there’s no military solution here, they got us.”

Glad someone noticed and was able to impart that North Korea didn’t need nukes to rack up a death toll.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Seems like a transparent attempt to gaslight a nation to me.

5 Likes

The transgender twitter announcement wasn’t actually an order, though. We’ll see everyone fall in line once they’re given actual policy - or at least they’ll follow the orders, even if they push back against them. More specifically, when it comes to the use of force and nuclear weapons, those who have been asked have confirmed that they’d obey orders:

Also:

No, the problem is, they’re only not obligated (aren’t allowed, in fact) to follow an order that is later determined to be unlawful. Their beliefs are irrelevant. The fundamental problem is, to actually fail to obey lawful orders is also a crime. It’s the terrible catch-22 that soldiers are constrained by - failure to obey a lawful order is a crime, following an unlawful order is a crime. More soldiers get prosecuted for failing to obey orders they believe are illegal than for obeying illegal ones. (Which makes sense - an army doesn’t work if soldiers refuse to follow orders.) Soldiers aren’t lawyers, and who decides what crimes get prosecuted is based on who wins out, politically, after the conflict. To add to that, the scale of the crime makes it less likely to be prosecuted. Following the order to “shoot that old man” might get you prosecuted, but “drop cluster bombs on this densely populated residential neighborhood” never has. There’s nothing inherently illegal about an order to bomb North Korea, either.

4 Likes