Strange but true: Reese's introduces a peanut butter cup without the chocolate

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/03/02/strange-but-true-reeses-introduces-a-peanut-butter-cup-without-the-chocolate.html

3 Likes

Lemme guess…April 1st?

7 Likes

So like a Smoothie, but worse.

1 Like

I confess to occasionally nibbling the chocolate off the Reese’s cup, then eating the peanut butter innards. And, tbh, Reese’s peanut butter is a bit sweeter and more “texture-y” than regular peanut butter. I couldn’t eat much of it, but it could make a nice treat.

8 Likes

Ever since discovering the just right crispness of the perfectly sized Trader Joes Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups, Reese’s mushy, overly sweet peanut butter cups are dead to me.

5 Likes

I misread the tag as 'Heresy"

5 Likes

They were by Hershey, so they were already chocolate free.

17 Likes

Ooh, Nut and Plain Chocolate. I wish I could get them from Cadbury.

1 Like

6 Likes

So… something like peanut butter fudge? It’s not terrible. My mother used to make that when she ran out of cocoa.

5 Likes

Tangentially related: the “marshmallow topped” Easter special edition Reece’s cups have been extremely well-received at my place. Pretty yummy!

1 Like

I just give the spoon to the dog for a couple seconds when I’m done.

2 Likes

have they forgotten the MAGIC of their product??

ChocPB

11 Likes

Oh, no. You just reminded me that “Creme Egg season” is nearly upon us!
:scream:

2 Likes

been experimenting, mixing pb fit powder, coconut oil, sugar to make “peanutbutter fudge”. Tried adding coco powder too. It’s all right but I haven’t mastered the proportions. Involves zero baking just mix pour into mold and place in fridge.

1 Like

Might as well just dip into your favorite peanut butter and nosh as is.

(Sometimes, I like to mix a big spoonful into my Greek yogurt. Scrumptious!)

1 Like

You have to admit it’s more true to its name without the chocolate

1 Like

I like peanut butter a whole lot, and really enjoy Reese’s candy in general, but a ‘only peanut butter’ version of its cups is not a product I feel needed to be made. I imagine the change the peanut butter had to go through to make a viable exterior coating has really altered the flavor for the worse.

Nearly? They appear in the shops here as soon as the Christma stuff is cleared away.

3 Likes

I don’t think the Reese’s filling is just PB. The flavor and consistency is pretty similar to the filling for buckeyes (which are basically home made peanut butter cups), which is made by mixing creamy peanut butter with powdered sugar and a little vanilla.

1 Like