Supreme Court to strike down Roe v. Wade in draft ruling leaked to Politico

A post was merged into an existing topic: Freeze Peach :peach: (USA)

A post was merged into an existing topic: Freeze Peach :peach: (USA)

9 posts were split to a new topic: Relitigating Old Elections

I’m sure that Aliito is lying, but on page 62 of this turd of an opinion is the following.

3 Likes

Well sure. Nothing in this opinion should be understood to cast doubt on precedents that do not concern abortion.

We’ll get rid of those in other opinions.

12 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Relitigating Old Elections

U.S. Senator Susan Collins , who claims to be an ardent supporter of the right to abortion, will be a “no” vote next week when Democratic Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer forces a vote on legislation to codify Roe v. Wade into law.

The Maine Republican voted to confirm right-wing Supreme Court Justices Neil Gorsuch, Brett Kavanaugh, Chief Justice John Roberts, and the justice who is authoring the majority opinion that will strike down Roe v. Wade, Samuel Alito. All are expected to vote to end the constitutional right to abortion.

Ahead of next week’s critical vote, Collins has already signaled she will not support the more than 70 million women in this country considered to be of “reproductive age.”

Why?

Catholic hospitals.

Senator Collins “says she has concerns about the Dems bill to codify Roe v Wade,” reports Punchbowl News’ Jake Sherman. “She said it doesn’t include ‘conscience’ provisions that would allow catholic [sic] hospitals to refuse to perform abortions.”

In February Sen. Collins and Senator Lisa Murkowski (R-AK) introduced legislation to do exactly what the Democratic bill would do: codify Roe v. Wade into law.

20 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Relitigating Old Elections

They’ve already demonstrated a willingness not to be bound by precedent, so such assurances are essentially worthless.

11 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Relitigating Old Elections

does anyone need a OCR’ed (and thus searchable) version of this opinion? Politico screwed it up.

11 Likes

Sorry, from the 5th District (I voted for Wilkes 2 years ago)

ETA:

Is this the other side of the “half-pregnant” coin? </s> Even during health class in Texas, we learned that’s not how it works…

8 Likes

If we have to apologize for our districts representative, then I owe everybody here a massive apology.

13 Likes

Why is it so important to protect the right of Catholic hospitals to kill patients?

Oh, that’s right: women and girls are chattel, not human beings, so protecting their lives isn’t important.

23 Likes

And we already have rules that say that Catholic hospitals have to treat anyone for anything if they want to receive Medicare payment.

21 Likes

and really, the constitution doesn’t mention “marital intimacy” , “marriage”, or “procreation” anymore than it does “abortion”. he’s just making stuff up whole cloth.

there’s no constitutional ground once you remove the right to privacy and autonomy. and nearly every private decision about sex, gender, race, health care, education, marriage, and children becomes fair game.

except guns, of course. gotta have those. would give them out in utero if they could figure a way

16 Likes

after 16 years of alito showing us exactly who he is and after seeing gorsuch, kavanaugh, and barrett lie their asses off to the senate confirmation hearings i don’t think i can take this “pinky swear, we’re not going to come for marriage equality, contraception, or interracial marriage equality” very seriously. my state has a totally corrupt attorney general named ken paxton who would be thrilled to say something like “based on the findings in the dodds opinion and using the same “logic” texas is no longer recognizing marriage licenses issued to same-sex couples and will no longer issue them.” and then watch the 5th circuit fall all over themselves to agree and then watch the furious five on the supreme court “regretfully agree”.

you know, as angry as i am at collins i’m ten times angrier at the voters of maine for re-electing her.

i have apologized repeatedly for my state for squeezing out the dry turd john cornyn and the steaming pile of typhoid-laced diarrhea that is ted “insult my wife again and i’ll lick your other ball” cruz. only another liberal democrat from texas could understand the abject depths of sorrow i feel for that. i don’t usually forestall the possibility of communication but this is almost too deep for words.

28 Likes
8 Likes

Maybe they can have a tailgating party in front of Kavanaugh’s house and lure him outside for talks. :man_shrugging:

17 Likes

“C’mon out, Kavvy-wavvy! We’re having a weinie roast. Partake.”

9 Likes