Suspecting arson, cops subpoena homeowner's pacemaker logs, then charge him with multiple felonies

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/02/01/suspecting-arson-cops-subpoen.html

2 Likes

It sounds fancy, but without lots of data from other people in emergency situations to compare it to, I’d be incredulous as a juror.

16 Likes

OMG, where are the HIPAA regulations against this?

23 Likes

It turns out his heart wasn’t in it.

29 Likes

Snitches get … staples? Umm, let’s see, what rhymes with staples…? Maples? Naples? Steeples? No, no, how about gables, tables, indefatigables, nonbiodegradables, parameterizables, I’m kind of reaching here, I’ll admit. How about I just squint and go with snitches get stitches? Yep, that’ll work.

4 Likes

If the fire started in his guy’s atrium, I think the police had no choice.

14 Likes

I can hear George Orwell screaming.

5 Likes

That’s kind of my question. Is a fast heart rate indicative of “oh no fire!” Or does it signify “bwa-ha-ha fire!” Remember Hannibal Lecter could eat a guy’s face off without raising his heart rate.

5 Likes

2 Likes

At the trial, he should demand to be able to face his accuser.

2 Likes

From the article, it sounds like the issue is that he didn’t have a high heart rate at the time of the fire. He carried lots of stuff out of the house, even packed suitcases of clothing. He claimed to have done it all in the short time after discovering the fire and before firefighters arrived, rather than ahead of time in preparation for a premeditated arson, and the pacemaker data didn’t corroborate that story.

4 Likes

Medical records were obtained via subpoena, which is legal unless the patient objects.

1 Like

With Edgar Allan Poe, I only heard some beating noise–but the noise steadily increased.

2 Likes

Aha, that sounds fishy indeed.

2 Likes

Especially when combined with the gasoline found on his clothing and there being multiple origin locations for the fire along the exterior of the house.

5 Likes

The picture implies they actually had someone cut into him to get to the pacemaker logs, but it’s not clear from the article if that was actually necessary. Seems to me that would be a rather badly-designed pacemaker. (Of course, if it is possible to retrieve the data wirelessly, there would doubtless have been much outrage by now one way or another about the device being insecure, but surely there’s some kind of halfway point.)

We must require all police officers have a college degree. I can’t take this shit anymore.

1 Like

WISDOM FOLLOWS:
Most pacemakers these days have a home unit, a sort of base station for your implant that monitors the ops of the device. Not only does it keep track of your vitals via near field RFD, it allows off site medical emer people to admin the device when you have an event or some sort of trouble with the implant. Recently, news came that the base stations (which are wireless now, older units came with line to be run to nearest phone jack) and when tied to the net (IOT) could possibly be black hatted. All it takes is a valid IP address and, well, you think taking control of a Jeep’s throttle was bad, wait till you find out any kiddy scripter could possibly shut down your implant.
Not to worry though, most manufacturers have foreseen this issue and now new implants are out and being installed that can no longer can be externally controlled. The programming of the implant now is only changeable by the surgeon
(**please write down your password and keep it in a safe and secure place. do not write it on the pacemaker**).
Only thing the base unit can do now is monitor and record events.Trust me, it’s a good thing for them to be able to see you having an infarction and then call you to ask about it.

And believe it or not, changing the pacemaker is now an outpatient event. You’re home in 6 hours with minor surgery.

9 Likes

Really scary thing is how insecure those wireless interfaces are.

https://www.lexumo.com/the-insecurity-of-medical-devices/

3 Likes

I agree in the general sense. What about this article prompted you to post about bad policing? This instance seems like quality work to me.

2 Likes