Synagogue vandalism suspect is accountant with a master's degree

Ahhh, the Ark B plan. Good, Good.

4 Likes

Funny story. My sister moved to rural GA (long story) and is Catholic. How she ends up talking about religion with total strangers is … well it’s an art form of sorts I guess, and it lands her in situations she likes to complain about

Sister: Something something something I’m Catholic something something something
Clerk: Oh that’s odd, you don’t look Hispanic!

11 Likes

Exactly. But I don’t have to push a space goat attacking.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m not surprised that some people who have that stereotype in mind now a days… from what I understand, my aunt’s church has a lot more Latino families now then it used to. Changing demographics in rural areas.

2 Likes

In spite of having lived most of my life in Tennessee I still find the question, “So what church do you attend?” unsettling–especially when it’s a conversation starter. Although it’s a little better to be asked. Some people skip that part entirely and go straight to what church I should be attending.

And I try to say, as politely as I can, “Well, thanks for fixing the plumbing. Here’s your check and please go now.”

11 Likes

Just remember to keep your telephone receivers clean.

4 Likes

Is step one really necessary though?

3 Likes

Where my kid was baptized in a church that is in an eclectic, semi-poorish area of KC. In the Church they had around 20 flags from around the world representing congregation members’ origins. So a lot or representation from both South and Central America, but also Africa.

I don’t know if it is big of an issue now, but in the past the influx of immigrants being Catholic was part of the backlash against immigrants. It wouldn’t surprise me if both race/nationality AND religious sect is a strike against them in some areas. There are some sects who literally see the Pope as the anti-Christ.

5 Likes

True. though I think this is less of an issue now than it used to be, especially since the protestant political movement (Moral Majority, etc) sought to make common cause with the Catholic League under Bill Donahue, especially around pro-life issues. You still hear the occasional “papist” comment but it’s not as bad as it used to be for Catholics in the south.

2 Likes

If you were to go with that here in Seattle you would say ‘You don’t look Filipino’.

6 Likes

probably not, but I don’t want them stinking up the Solar System for too long.

3 Likes

Around here, it’s “fill in the blank”: Micronesian, Tongan, Filipino, Puerto Rican, Portuguese, etc. etc. including various flavors of haoles. There are a ton of tiny churches and sects; I pass one on the way to work that is about the size of a camper trailer. The taco stand out front is bigger.

3 Likes

Its like, “I love you so much, so I just punched both your parents in the face”. Do these people know that Jesus is/was Jewish?

3 Likes

Fortunately I missed the horse intestines hitting the fan, but there are enough hints in the quotes to make me wonder why the poster in question was trying to argue that this criminal was from a rural rather than a cosmopolitan place.

The guy is from an upper middle class suburb of a major metropolitan area. He has always been closer to the skyscrapers in the center of the city than any cornfields. In fact, his master’s degree was earned right in the center of the city. His high school was more integrated in terms of race than in terms of economic class.

I was flipping through the radio channels today on the way to a meeting, and caught a snippet of Rush (the libertarian rock group, not Limbaugh). It got me thinking about the suburbs (including exurbs) in general. There is an identity to being in a rural area. There is an identity to being in a city. The suburbs (except for the oldest ones) don’t have that same obvious identity foundation. If there is an identity, it’s based on the relative cost of the housing in the area, which causes a de facto segregation. Rush’s songs – and Trump’s arguments – fall on fertile ground there.

14 Likes

They like to use that as an excuse for how they can’t be antisemitic.

13 Likes

Because he wants to feel like his beliefs aren’t the real problem, that it’s some other group of people (rural, ignorant, rednecks) who are the only problem. It’s about pretending that he’s not part of the problem.

13 Likes

All of this.

But maybe the eight semesters or whatever he spent in Iowa radicalized him :laughing:

4 Likes

Trying like crazy to hold back the big shrug. Look at the composition of Congress:

“169 Members of the House (38% of the House) and 57 Senators (57% of the Senate), held law degrees. 19 House Representatives have doctoral (Ph.D. or D.Phil.) degrees. 22 Members of the House and 3 Senators have a medical degree.”

4 Likes

They see lovely paintings of a blond, blue-eyed Jesus and come to a different conclusion.

6 Likes

Yep! And very often they think that Judaism is “ethnic Christianity” or just “Christianity without Jesus”, instead of a completely different culture and faith–at best.

11 Likes