Synagogue vandalism suspect is accountant with a master's degree

The rhetoric is that hate crimes like this are only committed by ignorant, undereducated red necks. This is not the case here, and it indicates that our understanding of hateful acts and the reality of them are often quite different.

8 Likes

No argument on that, but – just a thought – accountancy isn’t exactly social work.

Meaning what exactly?

Meaning his occupation may not afford him the opportunity or allow him to ‘connect’ with people in anything beyond money and math. Even face-time might be very limited. (I interact with my accountant mostly by phone and almost always with his admin.) How can you really know about people when you don’t share physical space with them and interact.

And yet, most accountants manage to refrain from hate crimes…

5 Likes

Well, sure; but he invented being ‘that good jew’, so he’s OK.

1 Like

data please.

:wink:

1 Like

He obviously has some sort of social life; Homo Economicus wouldn’t exactly have seen this as a rational choice of hobbies.

Or at least keep them to ones involving numbers and money.

5 Likes

Perhaps arguably, hobbies (read: any non-work-related activity) don’t always follow what might otherwise be expected. Circling back to the point I was trying to make… we can’t really know what’s going on in peoples’ minds based on what they do for a living, personal income, etc. An accountant, engineer, physician, lawyer, or you-name-it can have racist beliefs, and yet not commit a violent hate crime. Or, they could.

I’m not sure one needs to be a social worker to know that vandalizing synagogues is illegal and immoral. Even if the guy never met a Jewish person in his life.

4 Likes

I just chose one example - for the sake of having one example for comparison - (social worker) as an occupation that allows (by necessity) social interaction (and opportunity to acquire life lessons) that an accountant’s jobs may not allow.

Remember: These are posts; not dissertations.

:slight_smile:

I’d say that have different kinds of interactions. And not all social workers come out with a more progressive enlightened view of humanity, given that they are often having to deal with the worst of it (and by that I mean not only families with problems, but the brutality of bureaucratic systems and people’s willingness to let the system brutalize people).

Wait, there’s a difference?!?

5 Likes

That was a reminder to myself. Responsible use of bandwidth and all that.

1 Like

Yes all of this!

1 Like

Well, it’s not like the rest of us aren’t prone to the occasional dissertation length answer… Feel free to pontificate at length if the mood strikes you or you feel particularly strong about something.[quote=“LearnedCoward, post:85, topic:96510, full:true”]
Yes all of this!
[/quote]

5 Likes

I’ve actually had this happen to me (actually rotting horse intestines), and I thank Mod I don’t have to deal with that again.

(and the appropriate behavior when someone’s about to open up a horse in the pathology dept that’s been sitting in the summer sun for a couple of days and is nice and bloated is to go into another room and get a change of clothes for the sad SOB who has to open the belly of that damned thing)

8 Likes

Education does not equate to wisdom. The “trade school” model that conservatives are pushing skips all the liberal arts elements that develop the character that makes a person wise.

5 Likes

I thought this guy was Edgelord Nation?

The resemblance is remarkable tho.

2 Likes

Not to beat the horse further, but I clicked that link and it looked to me like a dead pig.