Ted Cruz: "America has always been best when she is lying down with her back on the mat."

People are surprised? Isn’t the main thing the republicans do is bend America over so corporations can have their way with it?

7 Likes

Down with this kind of thing.

2 Likes

Heh. I saw that I’d done that.

I think I was subconsciously inspired by this one:

*goes looking for Father Ted/Ted Cruz mashups

1 Like

It has a certain tone deafness about it that is kind of hard to let slide. I mean, yes, it’s a wrestling metaphor. But there are a few poor choices along the way to that particular metaphor before you get to the image of America as a woman on her back on the mat.

5 Likes

Even with the wrestling metaphor, who wants a guy that thinks being beaten down is the best position for our country.

3 Likes

Maybe it has a different meaning in Canada:

8 Likes

Compromise: “up against a wall”.

On second thought, maybe not.

2 Likes

Campaign badges maybe? Ted Cruz: aaah, go on!

Was this Cruz, or Dennis Hastert?

and then there’s the Octopus

anyone able to determine the sex of the cephalopods?

2 Likes

Not sure—those look like hexapuses, tops. Might be a new species!

7 Likes

The Prussians didn’t have the budget for the two extra legs.

4 Likes

within one order of magnitude. if it’s good enough for astrophysicists it should be fine for everyone else : D

4 Likes

I think the “octopus” trope was used by other countries to talk about one they didn’t like… Or they were used to talk about the jews… or communists.

I do wonder if there is a book that discusses all the ways the nation has been imagined…I generally see these discussions within a larger history of a country, etc, but I’m not sure if there are books on this phenomenon in general…

1 Like

No, no… that’s where some of these candidates should be. When the revolution comes.

1 Like

Lest we forget

6 Likes

That’s the Columbia I pledge allegiance to!

5 Likes

not exactly a book, but strange maps has many maps discussing the view of countries - like the one with the Prussian octopus (with more examples cephalopod cartography!) or - more positive - the waving girl as personification of Finland.

2 Likes

Or themselves:

ETA: the Jewish Communist/Radical/Atheist/Liberal/Social Democrat imperialist looks like a weird octopus/spider hybrid.

2 Likes

Is it possible to personify a place that doesn’t exist?

3 Likes