Ted Cruz said his daughters demanded a vacation so he had no choice but to flee Texas during a deadly arctic blast

Who else was he going to blame? His declared-ugly wife?

2 Likes

What are they, like 8 years old?

6 Likes

Oh fuck was that ever triggering. Apparently the fire department came by and brought her to the animal hospital and she is now under observation and receiving fluids. The Tweeter has been refusing any offers of financial assistance.

What a mensch.

19 Likes

This is complete bullshit. Disaster response is largely about coordinating state and federal efforts. Senators, as federal reps with direct ties to those on the ground, can be a key part of coordinating. As a Gulf Coast resident (currently in Houston) with more than my share of floods and storm disasters, competent senators are always doing real work in guiding the federal response.

16 Likes

My very next sentence after the one you quoted was literally saying that all that other stuff you listed could be done by him pretty much anywhere just as well as it could from within Texas - it’s all making calls and getting things organized. Cell phones and Zoom meetings are how the cast majority of that is done. Politicians showing up on-site to relief efforts typically do nothing to help, it’s the calling of contacts and arranging the support that they should be focusing on, and that can be done from Mexico just as easily as from an office in Texas.

The problem isn’t that he went to Mexico (except from some PR optics standpoint, and who cares about that), but that he wasn’t making those calls, or doing anything else to arrange federal aid or work on relief efforts.

1 Like

Sets a fine example for his daughters. How to be an insensitive blinkered asshole.

1 Like

meanwhile, back in blue america–

24 Likes

At age ten and twelce, no way he could have explained to them that going on a sunny vacation while the people he is responsible for are freezing would be a bad decision.

1 Like

What’s the point of having kids in the first place if you can’t throw them under the bus once in a while?

3 Likes

One of Cruz’s neighbours/friends has done the world a service by forwarding a text from Heidi Cruz to the NYT in which she says they were getting away because their house was cold and if anyone wanted to join them, they knew a place with good rates:

13 Likes

Maybe he was joining the “work-related bonding retreat?”

7 Likes

‘Daddy, what’s a douchebag?’

‘Your mother. She’s the one that booked this trip.’

Watching the mayor of Houston right now, dancing around the question of why Houston PD provided security for Ted Cruz to get him to the airport, possibly taking away resources from other places.

10 Likes

barack obama crying GIF by Obama

10 Likes

Man of the People Ted Cruz, Enemy of The Elite, can book a last minute international vacations for his whole family.

2 Likes

25 Likes

Called it:

17 Likes

Not to compare Rafael’s kids, wife, or dog to Cartman, but I do love the GIF.

6 Likes

But isn’t that always true of Ted Cruz?

2 Likes

their concept of “good rates” is completely different than mine. two nights would have more than covered my monthly rent when i lived in texas.

12 Likes