Ted Cruz wants to radicalize U.S. Muslim neighborhoods by sending police to "patrol and secure" them

Well, hell! Are you saying that if he adopts this policy, then the muslims might end up with a country of their own!?

Talk about blowback and unintended consequences!

Idiot. Even if it werenā€™t the wrong thing to do morally, itā€™s already been done, and failed in the predictable manner.

13 Likes

Just like in African-American neighborhoods? Welcome to America.

1 Like

Not saying you do, but he claims your faithā€¦ Not that I expect you to answer for him. But he does identify as a Christian.

That is an apt way of putting it.

Iā€™ve had Interesting Times fatigue going on at least 10 years. When do we get to live in mundane times?

15 Likes

I believe there were a few months in the 90s. I had hoped that we get a new allotment with the new century, but doesnā€™t seem likely so far.

10 Likes

I am adding to your point. No meaningful risk of Christians committing terrorism?

Has he heard of Ireland?

8 Likes

Coming soon to a suburb near youā€¦

2 Likes

Um. Holy shit.

My own best case scenario? They work all this shit out between the aristocrats and the suckers theyā€™ve hustled for 50 years under a big tent. Peacefully. Like adults. Everyone can speak for awhile. Come to a peaceable solution.

Second option. Do conservatives know how to protest without baring their teeth?

This upcoming Republican convention is beginning to look like the very height of the Vietnam anti-war protests.

Except in 1968 cops were cops. Not soldiers.

The Trumpians are furious at the RNC. At the world. But mostly at their own party.

If they get disenfranchisedā€¦ I fear Paul Verhoeven will be making the movie.

2 Likes

Iā€™m getting pretty annoyed by their party too. If we should call the cops on anyone itā€™s the racist trash wearing the meshbacks, making all the noise next door and starting fights, and not my chill neighbors with the headscarves who totally accepted a welcome cake from me that I realized later they probably couldnā€™t even eat.

10 Likes

The number of home-grown Islamic terrorists is actually pretty small in the U.S. compared to Western Europe, largely because the United States has done a better job of integrating them into society rather than shunning them into insular ghettos.

Itā€™s historically been harder for a Muslim to identify and be accepted as a ā€œreal Belgianā€ or a ā€œreal Frenchmanā€ than as a ā€œreal American.ā€ Thatā€™s our strength. Thatā€™s what people like Trump and Cruz are doing their best to destroy.

23 Likes

That may be true, but the cultural isolation is often sought by highly religious people themselves. We see this in various Jewish, Christian and Muslim communities in the US. It is certainly not universal, but neither is it uncommon here.

Self-imposed isolation/congregation is less likely to give rise to bitterness, alienation and radicalization than isolation imposed by others. A Mormon knows that they can leave rural Utah any time they choose and theyā€™ll be welcome pretty much anywhere in the United States. A young Muslim trying to escape the Brussels neighborhood of Molenbeek is likely to have a far more difficult experience finding opportunity and acceptance.

13 Likes

I dunno about that. Roasted corn, chiles, beans, squash, piki bread, varied wild game, wild rice, etcā€¦ Iā€™ve sampled a lot in my travels, and NA food is pretty tasty.

But Iā€™m guessing you probably mean ā€œEnglish derivatives that the original immigrants brought over would be pretty nasty without other later immigrant groupsā€¦ā€

3 Likes

If you ever get an answer to that brilliant question, please do let me know; Iā€™m right there with you.

Iā€™m so OVER ā€œinterestingā€¦ā€

6 Likes

Like vegans.

2 Likes

Ya knowā€¦ Trump talked about how he got his copy of Hitlerā€™s collected speechesā€¦ But denied the allegation that he did in fact read them in bed.

In the 1990 interview he did in Vanity fair.

Maybe Cruz could just ask Trump.

4 Likes

Or Yallā€™Queda freeing a park and recreation structure from the evil clutches of the Federal government.

And eating dick candy.

Thatā€™s apparently a thing with American Christian terrorists.

So strange.

1 Like

Both those could be probable cause ā€” Dora is a Mexican girl who travels all over the place with no regard for borders, and Frozen is ecoterrorist climate change propaganda.

And obviously Aladdinā€¦

11 Likes