Temuera Morrison says 'The Book of Boba Fett' is like 'Remington Steele' but in space

Try the Clone Wars cartoon. Boba is in a good handfull of them and much of his early story is told there.

2 Likes

I think the two bigger mistakes were doing more than 1 flash back. And kicking us off with Fett already in charge of shit.

They should have left it with Fett punching his way out of a paper bag and getting jacked by Jawas. That’s all we really need there, and even that wouldn’t really be necessary. Going back over and over, just kinda sapped the “main” plot of any time for anything to happen.

Then “Boba’s in charge, lets see him do the rounds” is just the lowest possible stakes approach to the story we’re supposedly being set up for.

I’m hoping they move away from both these things. Mandalorian has also had it’s hinky episodes, so I’ll given them the benefit of the doubt for a while.

1 Like

“the clone wars” or the “clone wars”? ive only watched bits of the latter, but i hear it’s not canon anyway

( i know i could look it up… i just really wanted to write that first sentence :smile_cat: )

The CGI one (which is canon) not the 2d animated one by Genndy Tartakovsky (which is not canon)

2 Likes

Doris Roberts showed up in the second season, introduced in an episode as an auditor(?) and then becoming the secretary.

1 Like

“What happened to Boba Fett?” has been one of the biggest fan debate for going on 40 years. And until Filoni and team brought him back (post Jedi) in S1 of Mandalorian I was firmly in the camp of “he’s dead Jim. Let’s move on.” But to bring him back and NOT show what happened post Sarlacc to where we see him a few years later walking the desert? That would be a huge let down and piss off a very large audience. It seems to me his time in the desert has helped shape him into what know of him now and is vital to the story going forward. Plus, getting to see even more culturally diverse Sand People is a good thing (more on that here if you are curious:

Actually, I agree with you that too much back story sort of ruins the mystique. I think they COULD have made Anakin’s turning to the Dark Side compelling, but they didn’t. And there was really no reason to start so far back.

2 Likes

I’d say less debate. And more a big focus. The old EU went to that well a lot.

He escaped from the Sarlacc pit twice.

So the show was going to need to address it. Between old EU old heads stumping for the story, @jlw holding down the Boba’s a nard line, and my dad asking “Wait isn’t he dead”. Getting it out of the way early is good way to handle it.

But it doesn’t neccisarily need to be examined in excruciating detail. The show was not teased as, billed as, and doesn’t seem to be about “how Boba got to Mandalorian Episode 5” or “what happened after the Sarlacc”.

So splitting time like this, in fact giving most of the pilot over to that, robs the premier of a lot of forward momentum.

If you want to make that show. Make that show. If you want a bunch of time to cover all of that. Let it be it’s own episode. Coulda been a “special” or TV movie kinda thing to keep people excited in the lead up. You drop it a month ago. Or hell just have the entire premier be that. Smash cut to the newly empowered Fett lording it up in a barge full of weirdos.

Instead we got half flash back, intercut with set dressing.

If they had left it as Sarlacc and Jawas, that’s enough to run with. Sarlacc didn’t get him, but he weren’t just running around out there. They’d have a lot more premier to dedicate to what looks like the main story, and still have mysterious bits to dig into later.

Give us what Fett is doing now so that people care what happened in the meantime.

1 Like

this series got off to a slow start, and agree with the criticism that it seems to just be rehashing stuff we already assumed had happened about his escape etc. But like, I was confused and frustrated by the first couple episodes of wandavision too before stuff picked up steam and it made sense. I’m in wait and see mode. It’s way too soon to write off a show based on one single episode.

2 Likes

i think it would’ve been a kind of funny running gag if he kept getting asked the question, and he kept coming up with different answers, complete with different flashbacks

better even - to keep him off center screen- if the people around him kept telling different stories, getting bigger with time. ( though full disclosure, i did just rewatch the fantasy mandalorian… errr… the witcher. and that’s kind of what jaskier does )

3 Likes

Just wait til episode 2 :wink:

2 Likes

except here in Remington Steele it’s some jackass blackmailing a woman for doing her job well with a splash of sexual harassment. Inspector Gadget is not abusive towards Penny, and only moderately towards Brain.

1 Like

In Inspector Gadget’s defense, Brain always looks exactly like a lot of suspected M.A.D. agents…he has met one on every assignment and never manages to arrest them. It’s pretty suspicious.

(The older live action version of Inspector Gadget was openly Get Smart though.)

1 Like

Some things just don’t need a back story.

Darth Vader is a badass villain that gets redeemed at the end? Awesome. Don’t need to know how he became evil.

Boba Fett is the greatest bounty hunter ever? Great, don’t need to see him practicing shooting tin cans.

The Xenomorph is an inscrutable killing machine? Cool! We don’t need to see how they were “created.”

Reavers are cannibal Vikings in space? Wonderful, don’t need to see how they were created in a failed pacification experiment.

More often than not the back story diminishes the mystique of the protagonist, since it can’t live up to the expectations of the audience.

2 Likes

there is a desire to explain why evil is evil, it can never just be evil.

3 Likes

Well it can just be evil for the sake of being evil, but those villains are a lot less interesting. Killmonger was one of the most compelling MCU villains because he had more complex motivations and goals than someone like Red Skull who was just a standard power-hungry madman.

Of course that’s different from saying that everyone needs a huge, fully fleshed out backstory, prequels, etc.

1 Like

Choice Choose GIF by G2 Esports

1 Like

Older live action one? You mean the 1999 Matthew Broderick movie? Because the cartoon came first, and literally had Don Adams (Maxwell Smart) voicing him, on purpose.

I think it isn’t really needed to explain in most cases why a villain is a villain. (Like Skeletor or Cobra Commander or Megatron.) But it was established Vader used to be good - a Jedi Knight even. Which does beg the question how he fell. Unfortunately, they didn’t really deliver a compelling reason or back story. :confused:

Yeah, you can have villains with complex reasons they are how they are and it is interesting - or just be evil. No other reason needed besides power and rule. Both can work.

2 Likes

Not all back story is neccisarily bad, and there is often backstory worth telling.

We can switch horses for a good comparison. Wolverine.

Weapon X was a very good late added origin story. It doesn’t try to explain everything, it doesn’t start at the very beginning. It leaves plenty for current Wolverine, and the rest of the X-Men world, to deal with now.

The later “Origins” push makes practically all those mistakes. It starts at the very beginning. With his mommy and daddy! Ultimately it seems to have left very few things for the broader property to tease out. Though I guess it did try to explain his attraction to red heads. Subsequent follow ons seem to try to bridge every single moment between that and weapon x.

And ultimately “Wolverine got human experimentationed” is a lot more compelling than “This is about his dad’s labor dispute with lumberjacks”.

3 Likes