Temuera Morrison says 'The Book of Boba Fett' is like 'Remington Steele' but in space

I have the original run in Marvel Comics Presents. Wonderful Barry Windsor Smith art!

3 Likes

Maybe the rest of the series will have him as a figurehead that is constantly being stuck back in the bacta tank while Ming Na’s character does all the work. Would make the comparison to Remington Steele closer.

4 Likes

Clone Wars did a good job of it. It’s easy to understand how seductive authoritarianism can be when your other examples of governance are the incompetence of the Jedi Council and the gridlock of the Galactic Senate.

1 Like

Man, the 2nd episode was considerably better than the first.

Also just realized Jennifer Beal from Flashdance is the Twi’lek that runs the club.

1 Like

There was so much in this episode. I imagine the main flashback storyline will be over now (but will be happy if it isn’t) but I kind of like that the “present day” story is the filler and the flashbacks are the main. But then, I like this kind of detailed character study. Boba is clearly a different character now than he was before. Showing how he got here is a Star Wars staple.

1 Like

Yeah if they stuck with that structure it would work. Mos Espa as a framing story, the main thing is Boba and the Tuskens vs Society.

This episode picked a lane and stuck with it, told a fairly complete story. And it worked muuuuch better.

I suspect that’s not the end of flashback time, but so long they can keep that focus it should work. Particularly if the 2 things can dove tail a bit.

I can easily see him flexing his power as Daiymo by having the united tribes of Tuskens behind him. He’s had a few years between becoming Dances With Bantha to seizing Jabba’s throne for that to happen. I wanna know where his ship is parked.

Killmonger is a master class in economical character development. In less than 15 minutes of movie intro and later exposition, we learn everything we need to know about his motivations and how he became a villain. No need for a Killmonger trilogy following him through the mean streets, basic training and deployments, and his work for the CIA. (Now that I’ve said it, Disney is all but guaranteed to release that trilogy). He’s great because we get enough info about him to see the humanity in the villain while leaving the details to our imaginations.

That sounds…underwhelming. This is the sort of disappointing backstory I’m talking about. That sounds a lot less interesting than any backstory I can imagine to fill in the blanks.

2 Likes

They threw in a sly vaporization for the fans.

Now you see the assassin…now you don’t!

I exaggerate some what. The original 6 issue series isn’t half bad. But “underwhelming” is a good way to describe it. It moves off what works far too fast, and tosses needless complications and “mysteries” in. They clone the dynamics of some of the major comics runners way to closely. That crack about explaining why he was into redheads? They have an unrequited love story or 3 copying the whole “Logan loves Jean” thing.

And they actually introduced a character who was so similar, and where the dynamic is identical, to Sabertooth that everyone assumed it was Sabertooth. And they actually had to make an announcement that it wasn’t. The terrible film adaptation both ignored a lot of the comic, and just substituted Sabertooth.

It’s got that central mistake of being too similar to what’s gone before. What’s different than you assumed largely seems to be so purely to confound expectations. And then it moves far too fast. It’s not concerned with telling the stories it introduces. It’s concerned with moving Wolverine from point a to point b. And answering unimportant questions. When was he born, who were her parents, did he have claws!? DID THEY HAVE CLAWS!?

That bit after the train, where he talks to the squid face guys. Very much looks like a building a base move. Like Boba, via his relationship with the Tuskens controls the routes through the Dune Sea.

That makes what I mentioned before. Fett taking over by walking into an empty palace and killing one guy. Work a lot better. If he’s the Boss (as goes CRIME!) outside of town already, then he’s expanding his territory rather than popping up out of nowhere.

That’s why I suspect we aren’t done with flash backs. There’s an awful big sign of these things dovetailing at some point in that.

I also quite like that he’s a bit of a chump and the Tuskens have to train him.

Apparently it’s 5 years between ROTJ and Mandalorian season 1. I doubt he was in the Sarlacc too long, since he’s alive. And it doesn’t seem like it’s been years with the Tuskens so far.

Which is part of my issue with the flashback approach. If they’re intending to fill in the full 5 years. That’s unnecessary. The back and forth structure of the first episode is really just gonna foster that “answer questions” thing. Whereas this episode told one isolated, complete incident from that time, that has implications for that other story they’re telling.

*editors note: those are the Pykes as seen in Solo, Clone Wars and Rebels.

EDIT spelling

1 Like

I know, “squid face guys” is more fun. Also vague enough to minimize how much of spoiler any of that might be.

Not everyone may know and any chance to insert that old school comic book editors note is fun!

But with so many ‘squid face’ guys in Star Wars it’s best to be specific :wink:

1 Like

*Pyke. But yes, when I saw the helmets, I was like, “Aren’t they from the Clone Wars?” And I guess Solo too.

Fixed spelling thank you.

Fans of the recent marvel comics should recognize that Wookiee as well.

1 Like

And fans of deleted scenes may recognize that Luke’s looser friends Camie and Fixer are still hanging out at Tosche station and still haven’t done anything with their lives.

2 Likes

Was that who they were? I didn’t even think they were anyone specific. Nicely done.

The credits confirmed the character names. Plus, in true Star Wars tradition, they’re still wearing the exact same outfits even though this is something like 4-5 years after the events of A New Hope.

I didn’t make the connection myself though. There’s a ton of articles on sites like nerdist.com that worked it out.

1 Like

Yeah I kinda blanked on that, till innernets pointed it out to me.

I dunno that the “still there” line is all that valid. It’s like 4 years, with a war going on. So it’s not like they’ve been standing outside the 7-Eleven smoking cigarettes for a decade.

But as goes that trope. The people loudest about getting out and moving on are always the ones that don’t. Especially if they’re cool kids. So it makes perfect sense to me. (ETA: head cannon wise, there isn’t actually anything to these characters).

I bet Fixer is coaching his highschool sports ball team, and Cammie is starting up a macrame business.

1 Like

I am not collecting the new comics, but I did see someone post a comic frame, so it is clear this is an established EU character.

I wondered if that was supposed to be them. I was going to go look up the unused footage afterwards to try to confirm.