Tennessee GOP pushes bill to eliminate age requirement for marriage

Of course! There’s plenty of precedent in the “good book”. I also agree with @SpunkyTWS that it’s an end run around Obergefell.

14 Likes

Maybe. They are also generally anti-state, unless it’s using the state to punish everyone who is not them…

18 Likes

When this passes, and someone has to tell Tennessee Republicans that the 14th amendment applies to common marriage also, because why wouldn’t it:
Shocked Oh No GIF by Yêu Lu

14 Likes

Republicans really lean into the idea of “accuse the other side of that which you are guilty.”

18 Likes

So. Much. Projection.

14 Likes

Taliban adjacent? Signs point to yes.

9 Likes

12 Likes

But I could still marry my sister or my first cousin in Tennessee? I mean, I could probably wait to be LEGALLY married if I had to. Doesn’t have to be on paper to honor my heroes Elvis and Jerry Lee!

/s

5 Likes

That’s GOProjection for you.

Complain about pedo cults and human traffickers, yet lobby against a key tool that would go a long way to help fight that shit.

14 Likes

My guess is specifically that the application for marriage license has blanks for “spouse 1” and “spouse 2” or something and they feel that is a violation of their rights to have to write their names in those fields.

9 Likes

Maybe they should be tallywacker non tallywacker.

7 Likes

Most places that allow for Common Law marriages require that you cohabit for 7-10 years before recognition. I am guessing this is eliminating that, and basically saying you can move a child of any age into your home, declare yourselves married, and the state has no say in it at all. IANAL, but yeah, that sounds like eliminating the age of consent and very much allowing for grooming. From the party all about grooming, of course.

Reaction GIF

22 Likes

Honestly, this sounds like it’s for fundamentalists who would like to practice biblical polygamy…the kind that requires you marry girls off before they understand they have a choice.

11 Likes

Just what is their argument for this bill? just like wtf?

6 Likes

The GOP is the party of child rapists.

15 Likes

You’d have to check the statutes in each state showing zero to make a comparison. For example, here in California, a marriage license can be issued for a minor when all of the following requirements are met:

(1) Require Family Court Services to separately interview the parties intending to marry and, if applicable, at least one of the parents or the guardian of each party who is a minor. If more than one parent or guardian is interviewed, the parents or guardians shall be interviewed separately.

(2) Require Family Court Services to prepare and submit to the court a written report, containing any assessment of potential force, threat, persuasion, fraud, coercion, or duress by either of the parties or their family members relating to the intended marriage. The report shall also contain recommendations of Family Court Services for either granting or denying the parties permission to marry. If Family Court Services knows or reasonably suspects that either party is a victim of child abuse or neglect, Family Court Services shall submit a report of the known or suspected child abuse or neglect to the county child protective services agency.

(3) After receiving the report of the assessments of Family Court Services, as described in paragraph (2), separately interview in camera each of the parties prior to making a final determination regarding the court order.

(4) Consider whether there is evidence of coercion or undue influence on the minor.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displayText.xhtml?lawCode=FAM&division=3.&title=&part=1.&chapter=&article=

That’s a LOT different from a blanket elimination of the age requirement.

20 Likes

Maybe we could stop focusing on people’s genitals. Again.

16 Likes

Yeah, the ‘data’ provided on that map seemed a bit… vague.

12 Likes

Yes, that is generally how child marriage works in the US, some person or people with official standing have to convene and decide the child marriage is a good idea. IMO, it doesn’t matter which parties think it’s a fine idea for someone to be a child bride (child husband? is that a thing ever?). Marriage isn’t for children.

But yes, I agree, there is certainly a difference between on the one hand having a lengthy process to approve getting a state sanctioned child bride, and on the other hand having that decision rest solely with you and your impressionable child bride and maybe your preacher friend.

ETA:

8 Likes

Totally agree.

7 Likes