Tennessee lawmaker drinks from chocolate syrup bottle during legislative session without shame

There was a fad in my office to get those yeti/swell tumblers that go for 20-50 dollars. It was spurred on by the company offering a 5 dollar rebate for getting a reusable insulated cup.

I almost got one myself. What stopped me is I had a co-worker with CP that when the topic would come up he would shake his head say '25 dollars for a cup ’ very disappointingly. Usually followed by him taking his medication and drinking some water from a paper cup. Other augments included 'How difficult really is it to get ice? ’ and ’ it’s just a cup ‘, ’ This [paper cup] is free and does the same thing’

1 Like

With no other chocolate at hand, I’ve been known to take surreptitious nips from the ol’ fridge Hershey syrup bottle. When you need a fix, you don’t care much what it’s cut with.

12 Likes

Most of us have the common decency to do that in the privacy of our own home where nobody can watch our shame.

8 Likes

Indeed, this looks like a case of Happy Mutant. But you know, GOP so he’s “weird”.

4 Likes

And yet if he were drinking Yoo-Hoo nobody would bat an eye, and that stuff is disgusting.

4 Likes

You drink water out of a Hershey’s chocolate syrup bottle?

4 Likes

Nobody drinks Yoo-Hoo. Stores only stock it for nostalgia purposes.

6 Likes

This is literally the least worst thing that a republican has done this week…

28 Likes

I’m sure one’s ordered The Help to feed their children.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure people still drink it on a dare once in a while.

As a kid, we saved dish detergent bottles for water bottles. Dawn, Joy, whatever. Freaked people out when we took a swig in public.

6 Likes

2 Likes

The popular kids & VSCO Girls use Hydroflasks, which go for $35-$40, depending on the model.

Every legislature has one.

Senators who have maintained the candy desk tradition include […], and Rick Santorum,

I’ll pass!

7 Likes

Recycling: Great!

Repurposing: Great!

Reusing: Great!

Using an old chocolate sauce bottle that you can never quite get the taste out of and which has a too-small nozzle to drink effectively from: WTAF?

8 Likes

I’m a little suspicious that the label has remained intact.

3 Likes

Yeah, I had that thought too. I have a Life Wtr bottle on my desk which I’ve been using for … 10 months or so? And it looks like it’s been used and used. That syrup bottle looks like he picked it up this morning at the gas station on the way to work.

2 Likes

My first thought was that it was a sugar hit. Maybe not diabetic, but needing a quick zap of monosaccharides to overcome a sleepy phase for a short time. Which will work only for a short boost, mind.

1 Like

Yeah, there are water bottles that cost upwards of $35-$50. But you start to get premium features (stainless steel, double walled, vacuum sealed, sometimes with gemstones inside to make “gemwater”, bluetooth speakers…).

But I suspect what he is on about is a couple different things:

1. He doesn’t actually shop for himself, and has no idea how much things cost. Every so often, you get a congressperson who gets dinged in the press for this.
  2. Being a Republican, it’s more about the show of his folksy fiscal conservativeness.

I mean, it’s a bit odd. I don’t think he deserves any ire over this. Particularly since

7 Likes

The new ones are printed straight onto the plastic. It doesn’t rub or soak off.

7 Likes