Tesla just announced a... DeLorean Monster Truck?

I would not drive this if one were given to me for free.

I’d burn it first.

Holy hell that’s ugly. Elon- stoping trying so damn hard to impress people with stupid design- and just make a usable, not ufo looking electric truck. I will drive to Palo Alto and shove my money in your pocket myself.

1 Like

All the trailer sites we stay at have 30 or 50 amp electric hookups, (more than most people have in their garages for charging cars overnight) so I’m not in the least bit worried.

5 Likes

Clearly you missed the concept art for the Tesla Face…

2 Likes

Rail guns, of course!

3 Likes

Fiat X19, Lancia Beta Montecarlo, Lotus Esprit S1 and so on. It has an 80s vibe.

1 Like

The love child of a cocaine snorting Delorian and Pontiac Aztec.

:wink:

4 Likes

Quite. Any truck or van that can’t easily carry 8x4 sheet materials is no use at all. 6.5ft is not enough!

2 Likes

This is clearly as a shot across the bow at the opening of the L.A. Auto Show (Nov 22 - Dec 1).

There’s a lot of bang for the buck, specs-wise. Also, the F-150 isn’t the top selling vehicle because it’s pretty.

Regardless of how I’d weigh the on-paper specs and aesthetics, I’d like to see side by side use case scenarios common to F150 owners. Can you dump rocks, firewood, soil, etc. in there with a skip loader? Wazroth mentions how there appears to be the open bed option:

…but that angle is not very loader friendly.

Next, how customizable is it?

Ford sold almost 900,000 F150s in 2017 alone. Whether one has an F150 as a gardener, pool cleaner, electrician or general contractor, they have a ton of low cost, third party customization options (Harbor Freight etc.) by which they can organize and have easier access to the equipment they use most. If that’s going to be possible for the Cybertruck, Tesla needs to show it.

To me, the Cybertruck looks like an XL sized Toyota A-Bat (the hybrid concept truck trotted out in 2008).

The automotive journalists hated it. But I might have bought one had it gone to market. I wish Toyota had moved forward then - they would have established a toehold and lit a fire under the other pickup truck makers. It’s a shame it has effectively taken 12 years for Ford to do something in this class.

4 Likes

It looks like something a student who just started learning solidworks would create. I sure hope that isn’t the production design.

5 Likes

I hope it’s silicone “marble.” That’s a place you head could hit in an accident.

4 Likes

Except Cybertruck’s “truck” specs are lacking. There’s little clearance there on the back wheels. Might be fine for Mars, but for muddy Earth where the truck users I know operate, that’s asking for problems. As someone else pointed out, for a truck, cargo space is lacking.

It’s certainly not going to win over the truck users I know who fear electric vehicles, because it means losing their truck that they actually use as a truck, not just something to take around city streets with something small in the back.

8 Likes

9 Likes

More like:

pewpew

10 Likes

The Truck-Nutz are polyhedral.

Elon Musk came up with that idea while attempting to snort coke off the dashboard of his Tesla.

TV;DW, but I had a friend way back when who put his own sunroof in by hacksawing a hole in the roof and duct-taping lucite over it.

12 Likes

12 Likes

If the ball shattering the glass wasn’t expected, what was? The ball bouncing back to hit him in the face?

8 Likes

When the zombies shut down all the power plants, will the survivalists be driving around with a diesel generator in the truck bed to charge the battery? Or maybe some of Elon’s solar panels?

I’d imagine there’s some Tango in its lineage.

Will it be called the LOD_4? (I will continue to tell this joke everywhere I go until I find the one other person who will get it and laugh.)

I have to appreciate any vehicle that comes with a built in dog-petting station.

14 Likes

I get you, but Tesla isn’t the only company that makes eletric trucks.

Well, ok, maybe they kind of are, since Rivan isn’t shipping anything & that is 2x to 3x the price, but does look much nicer.

This thing may sell ok based on the jobs it can do…but once it stops being the only EV pickup and that price point I think the looks will cut the sales short.

(Of corse I’m a child of the ‘80s…or teen of the ‘80s so it actually straddles the cool/crap line for me)

3 Likes