Tesla just announced a... DeLorean Monster Truck?

What if his very successful Rocket company bought 10,000 of these from his less successful (at least from a bottom line perspective) car business? 700 million dollars is what… if the “pressurized” version costs the same. and hey if a few tesla fanatics buy them as well…cool.

1 Like

and he wants to put 1,000,000 on mars. so who’s to say they will stop at 10,000. but if you buy a ticket to mars one day, and you get there and the only way to get around is to walk (hop?) or drive an ugly tesla truck…guess what…you’ll be driving a tesla truck.

1 Like

I came here to chew polygons and kick ass.

And I’m all out of polygons.

16 Likes

The dashboard looks like a bathroom counter top.

12 Likes

Are designers ever executed for egregious ugliness? If so then some folks at Tesla should be worrying right about now.

2 Likes

If this thing doesn’t take corners at 90° then what’s the point?

8 Likes

My friend in Tucson recently scored this hand-built 1977 concept car. The similarity is not lost on him.

15 Likes

25 Likes

Apparently the Pontiac Aztek was a great car to own if you needed a versatile do-it-all SUV. As a bonus, if you’re sitting inside of it, you don’t have to look at the exterior.

10 Likes

Clearly you cannot drive it at night.

1 Like

Seriously though, this thing has a huge set of blind spots. Up front and over the shoulder. That alone makes it a no go for me. I use to be a bus driver and I was stuck with one of the short buses which have terrible blind spots even with the mirrors attached. This thing just gives me flashbacks to that. So I hope the transportation administration bans this damn thing.

5 Likes

It’s a safety hazard too. And that steering wheel is garbage. Just… no.

5 Likes

I was really looking forward to Tesla making a truck. I still am. I don’t know what that stillborn pile of polygons is, but a practical truck that can do the things one buys a truck for, it fucking ain’t. Back to waiting for the eF150.

12 Likes

Came here to make the point about 70’s concept cars. Heck, 70’s Sci-Fi movie cars.

3 Likes

The sad thing is, if you had blessed amnesia and had forgotten what an Aztek was, and just saw this parked on the street next to modern SUVs, it wouldn’t look out of place at all.

They just introduced the style 10 years too early.

(On a personal note, I miss the structured yet flowing, panther-like SUVs of the early 2000s; like the Grand Cherokee WJ; they took the edge off the '90s SUVs but kept the proportions. Most of the SUVs today that I like have somewhat reverted to this design.)

3 Likes

Several things:

1. “official truck of Mars” queue the anti-trust case
  2. A successful vehicle design has something a person can interpret as a human face
  3. @jaded just be thoughtful about how you get back. How many places you would take a camper also have a Tesla charger?
5 Likes

That’s just the low-poly model since the release is still pretty far off.

12 Likes

Fire Hazard?

2 Likes

by the way Simone Giertz built a tesla truck awhile ago. also she is awesome!

19 Likes

In space nobody can hear design sucking.

10 Likes