Tesla stock sinks another 11% as Elon hypes Russian Prime Minister tweet "predicting" U.S. civil war

how what now? id like some receipts. box office numbers would be fine.

to the extent the right is currently against hollywood is because they perceive hollywood ( and all of american mainstream culture ) as theirs. they do not like the increased diversity of cast and topics - and that’s what they complain endlessly about.

more importantly, to steal other people’s points:

https://mobile.twitter.com/xkcd/status/1339348000750104576

18 Likes

If rural America identifies itself with the God damn Confederacy, then that would be the real problem, wouldn’t it?

Funny how you phrase that as the Left’s fault…of course I know that whatever we do, we are always somehow the ones in the wrong.

23 Likes

Most of the jokes in the National Lampoon’s Vacation movies weren’t directed at cousin Eddie, they were directed at the idiocy of big-city dumbass Clark Griswold. He was the one who didn’t think to bring an axe to cut down a tree, he was the one who had an angry mob chasing him across Germany, he was the one whose buffoonery killed at least two family pets, he was the one who never thought to question why the Wally World parking lot was empty until an animatronic moose told him the park was closed.

The whole “caricatures of big-city ignorance vs. rural ignorance” in media goes back at least as far as the “The Town Mouse and the Country Mouse” fable but it’s rarely a one-way dig. Another prominent example is Green Acres: pretty much everyone comes off as a silly caricature, but none moreso than New York socialite Eva Gabor.

17 Likes

Um, that’s their neighbors who want that rock returned to its natural state. It’s their neighbors who are threatened by Confederate battle flags and elementary schools named for Confederate generals.

Sounds like you are the one who’s inculcated the propaganda here.

16 Likes

Funny how Black people and Indigenous Americans who live in the American South never seem to get a say in what counts as “Southern Culture.”

26 Likes

Even when it’s their culture to begin with. Country music, Southern food, etc.

20 Likes

It’s very important to forget they exist, so you can paint people as being mean to the white supremacists for no good reason at all, instead of giving a damn about their would-be victims.

(And no, I don’t believe all rural Americans are white supremacists…but given that was literally everything the Confederacy stood for, to the point where a country actively committing genocide was insufficiently white supremacist for them, anyone who identifies with it sure as hell is.)

14 Likes

Yeah, if they support racism because they are racist or don’t give a shit about anyone who is in some way different from them and believe that women should not be allowed to make choices about their health, then yeah… that’s a bunch of bigoted nonsense.

One set of people are literally trying to eliminate trans people. I’m not sure why YOU think that’s an okay position to hold, and that it should be part of our politcal discourse. There is no reason to accept that eliminationist set of policies. None. No reason NOT to call that position out and no reason to vote for it.

Saoirse Ronan Bingo GIF by A24

So are racist, misogynistic, bigoted, racist, transphobic “jokes”… Shockingly, comedians are not the spokes people for political views, though.

As someone who lives in the south, and regularly rails against BS discussions on the south, there is tons of positive representation of southerners on TV… And the idea that Hollywood is some bastion of left-wing politics rather than supportive of the status quo is laughable. It’s just not the case. There are certainly SOME people who identify with the left, but many more instead are centrists who strive to be as politically neutral as possible, to appeal to a wider audience.

episode 8 bullshit GIF by RuPaul's Drag Race

I say that as a southerner, so do lots of us down here, because it represents a racist society that sought to destroy the country.

The difference is that “their” statues (which I fucking dispute since there are millions of people down here who oppose displays of racist bullshit) are avatars of white supremacy, and those books are speaking to people historical oppressed. So that’s very much a false equivalency.

And of course there is literally no reason to assume white people are the only people in rural America, too.

Well, if we just let them ban trans care and made POC into second class citizens, then they’d be alright and leave us alone… After all, the REAL bigotry is calling out bigotry! /s

And I live NEAR that big rock, and given that almost no “real Americans” (ie white Trump voters) live near it, why shouldn’t we?

Also, people should remember that the whole fucking thing was paid for by white racists as a monument to white supremacy. These are well-established facts that must not be forgotten.

Speak Black Woman GIF by Robert E Blackmon

And those of us white people not on board with racism and bigotry, too. We’re not “real” southerners, after all! /s

Kristen Wiig Yep GIF by Where’d You Go Bernadette

20 Likes

Shit - even if that were true I’d take it over what they call my people. “Groomers” and “child abusers” who don’t deserve the same rights they have - or to even be allowed to exist. They’re talking about feeding us to wood chippers online now.

I’d swap in a fucking heartbeat.

20 Likes

Straight white Christians in rural America are hardly “disenfranchised” compared to any other group of voters. They haven’t been denied a seat at the table, if anything the whole damn dinner menu was crafted with their particular dietary preferences in mind.

19 Likes

I just reread this. WTF? You think the bigots are the disenfranchised!?! Have you been in a coma!?!

The bigots are structurally overrepresented in our electoral system. The disenfranchised are POC, immigrants, and people from urban areas. My vote is worth roughly one-third of that of someone from Wyoming, just because I live in an urban area. Even worse are those who have their vote stolen from them through voter suppression and gerrymandering.

24 Likes

Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live

I really want to know, @vonbobo how that is an acceptable political position… How in the fuck do we NOT call that out!?!

Waiting GIF

Well, they’re being FORCED to treat people they don’t like as human beings! What could be more oppressive than THAT! /s

17 Likes

And as a California voter I have roughly one-sixty-seventh as much representation and influence in the Senate as a voter in Wyoming does.

17 Likes

Not to mention their being waaaaay overrepresented politically.

@DukeTrout,

Al Pacino Snow GIF by MOODMAN

20 Likes

Rural white Americans are disenfranchised by the political system being dominated by the ultra-rich, same as everyone else. Of course, not everyone else kept voting for that to happen.

16 Likes

I think that’s true to an extent, but there has been a sort of tacit agreement since at least Bacon’s Rebellion that there should be a sort of “psychic wage” for some white voters. It was part of how the GOP was able to pretty handily win over some white working and middle class voters in the 70s and 80s with the “Reagan Revolution” by appealing to the idea that they are in competition with other groups in the society, so it’s better to cut any and all public programs, in case it might benefit anyone who doesn’t look like them. Not everyone was fooled, of course, but enough were to make the base of the GOP white men in the middle class and petite bourgeoisie who believe that they are going to get a bigger slice of the pie if they keep punching down.

16 Likes

But Gary don’t need his eyes to see,
Gary and his eyes have parted company

I would argue they are still hyper-enfranchised. The ultra-wealthy and rural whites form a malignant synergy. The wealthy get their tax breaks and corporate wellfare in exchange for bigoted policies they might not fully support that the rural white bigots want. That’s the whole premise behind the Republican Southern Strategy (a misnomer, really unless you call Indiana and Idaho “the South); in order to continue policies that overtly support increasing concentration of wealth that was unsupported by the vast majority of voters, Republicans had to outreach to the rural whites who were irate at the liberal consensus of the middle 20th Century and provide policies, often for what we now call “single-issue voters” that would engage just enough voters to take the increasingly dysrepresentative electoral college.

ETA: @Mindysan33

america exploding GIF

13 Likes

Star Trek Ok GIF

10 Likes

Indeed. By definition “deplorables” are bad people with bad ideas. Aren’t they?

… or if we’re talking about somebody else, why are we using that word?

6 Likes