Texans believe snow a government plot

Man I wish we had the science necessary to pull this off.

3 Likes
9 Likes

Yeah, a layperson’s understanding of science is pretty bad in my experience. Doing what I would call a demo is what they think an experiment is. Where’s your hypothesis, control, etc? I’m an engineer by trade, so applied scientist, and we definitely don’t use strict experimental science methods. But what we do is way more formal that a “demo”. I also get exhausted trying to explain what science and engineering really “is” to folks that don’t have the background. I can’t imagine what it must be like doing that in places where the education system has been decimated.

5 Likes

If Kate Bush has taught me anything it’s that the government is against weird weather experiments, not the generator of them.

7 Likes

Seems to me that after “fixing” their grid, they may want to spend some serious money on edumentation.

7 Likes

I am afraid it’s global by now. A month or so ago there was this:

happened in Spain, so weird I saw it reported on Italian news. So what really sublimates is dumbness, and it has permeated the atmosphere all over the globe. Ah no wait, it’s flat right? All over the plate then. Hhhhhhhh…

7 Likes

The more I think about this, the nuttier it is. Leaving aside all the issues around the idea that someone manufactured a staggering number of tons of fake snow and managed to spread it across hundreds of thousands of square miles without anyone noticing. Texas’s problems have to do with the freezing cold temperatures. Do they think the artificial snow caused Texas to drop below freezing? Did they notice all the other, nearby states that are also under a ton of freezing snow? Do they think that’s all fake, too? (Is all the snow across the country fake, or do they have a dividing line? Is snow real at all?) When it melts, do they admit that yes, it was indeed snow that could melt? (I somehow suspect not.)

17 Likes

Ah nu cheeki breeki iv damke

4 Likes

From the Official 2012 Texas GOP party platform document:

*Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based Education (OBE) (mastery learning) which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of challenging the student’s fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority.*

You read that right. The GOP officially has spent time and money opposing the teaching of critical thinking skills.

They literally want everyone to be stupid, uninformed and incapable of thinking their way out of a wet paper bag.

20 Likes

Lots of places in the south get snow, actually.

Snow is common up the Appalachians, in fact.

We’re really not all ignorant hicks. Can we stop making that assumption maybe? :woman_shrugging:

13 Likes

There were more trump voters in CA than TX. If that doesn’t “prove” this “southern hick” theory a nonstarter, I don’t know what will.

12 Likes

Right? We’ve been over and over this issue like a million times already, too. But still, the stereotype persists. :roll_eyes: You’d think here on the BBS, people wouldn’t assume lazy stereotypes, but here we are.

8 Likes

I never stated that all folks in the south our ignorant hicks nor made the assumption. I’m purely speaking from the fact that I have had a lot of guests from Florida and Dallas/Fort Worth area of Texas here in Winnipeg and they are genuinely surprised at all the different conditions they’ve seen here. There’s also a distinct fascination with lake effect snow, which we don’t really get here, and admittedly is pretty amazing (I drove through a wicked storm in PA south of Lake Erie). Sorry if my statement was overly generalized. I definitely understand that snow is regional and elevation is a big factor.

Also ignorance is an equal opportunity endeavour geographically. Trust me, we have our fair share of ignorant morons around here as well.

4 Likes

Yeah that’s infuriating, and unfortunately, we’re seeing the first steps of that in Manitoba now with our Conservative government. Our previous Minister of Education (only replaced in Jan) who comes from our local “bible belt” was attending conferences with headline speakers like Betsy DeVos and Joachim Kuhs.

Winnipeg - Manitoba Liberals are calling for Education Minister Kelvin Goertzen to resign or be fired for participating in a conference with extreme right-wing politicians from the U.S., Russia, Brazil and Germany. Goertzen was the only Canadian politician who participated in two conferences for Global Home Education Exchange (GHEX), an international organization that promotes homeschooling at the expense of the public school system. In a video of the conference, Goertzen says he thinks the majority of all schooling could be done at home, instead of in public schools. He also agrees with another commentator that schools should run like the market, and if the product isn’t selling, it should be stopped.

https://www.mbliberalcaucus.ca/news_details.php?id=115

Some really chilling stuff in my opinion. Our previous Minister of Education feels that the Government should not provide education… I don’t know much about the new Minister. However, the same political party is in power. So I suspect not much has changed.

4 Likes

FROM THE GOVERNMENT!!!11111!!!eleven!!!

4 Likes

speaking as a 26 year texas teacher who has taught in grades 4. 5. 6. 10, 11, and 12.that platform was an attempt at a twofer-- a slap at both common core indirectly (outcome based education) and at critical-thinking skills directly.

why?

common core because it was supported by democrats and democratic-leaning businessfolks of the sort the texas g.o.p. didn’t want around like bill gates and jeff bezos (the jokes on them, i didn’t want bezos around either and i’m to the left of aoc).

critical-thinking skills because, as one of my republican coworkers put it, some people needed to know critical-thinking but most people needed to stay ignorant and be good laborers and clerks.

16 Likes

This is shit posting piled on by dimwitted folks who end up believing it? right?

2 Likes

Can we change the headline to “A small number of idiots in Texas believe snow a government plot”, please? I’m a Texan, I’m married to a Texan, our kids are Texans, my family are mostly Texans, most of my friends are Texans, I work with Texans, I live in very close proximity of lots and lots of Texans, and I don’t know anyone who thinks this. I’m sure people who believe this exist, and I’m going out on a limb and will assume they are also complete morons.

Now, granted, there are many of us that think snow is an evil abomination, especially after last week, but we don’t necessarily blame the government.

13 Likes

If the government could create cold stuff that doesn’t ever melt, even when exposed to direct flame, wouldn’t they find a better use for it than dumping tons of it on Texas to make Ted Cruz go to Mexico?

5 Likes

Literally every person who I asked why they didn’t like Common Core, came up with a reason that had nothing to do with Common Core.

5 Likes