Texas cops shut down two little girls' lemonade stand

No, the police will definitely have them too. Technically, if you’re above the law, you’re not an outlaw.

1 Like

I see what you did there.

I cant disagree.

AR-15s, for the people!

1 Like

That’s… not what property taxes are. Property taxes are what you pay for the privilege of owning property, not taxes that owning property allows you to levy.

1 Like

Yeah. The cops are totally just being fair! Please. You don’t see police sitting around and doing the old “stop and frisk” to kids on college campuses. Why? Because if they did they, they would be hauling off half of the college population and people would lynch them. Instead, they “equally” enforce their rules and poor brown people.

The cops did this for one of two reasons: One, they had a personal issue with the parents and were using their powers to harasses them through their kids. Two, they are just malicious assholes who like terrorizing people at random. “They apply the law equally” isn’t on the fucking list.

2 Likes

I’m asking you to read my other posts on this thread where I’ve worked out more of my views and have already addressed a number of responses that essentially already say what you’re saying here.

Suffice it to say, I don’t think the cops were enforcing the law for the sake of public good, so much as to stroke their egos by exercising their power to shit on some children.

A vinegar and popcorn stand would have been totally legitimate though.

1 Like

I wasn’t saying that that was what property taxes were. My point was that buying and selling land as if it were property is absurd. Being granted an imaginary relationship to ones environment can hardly be a privilege, and in a secular democratic world there wouldn’t be anybody in a position to bestow privilege of this or any other kind. Of course the pretense exists, but all it accomplishes is demonstrating that many constructs are neither as civilised nor accurate as many like to frame them as being. As ways of representing and managing resources, property, territory, and commerce all seem to fail constantly. Yet people seem to stubbornly insist upon trying to base their society upon these.

So the lemonade wasn´t artisanal? Good thing they shut that business down.

1 Like

If you want there to be an exemption for little kids, then change the damn law. Don’t ask cops to apply subjective measures of cuteness and innocence in the enforcement of the law.

It’s about reasonable due diligence. I’d have no problem at all with a “sleezy looking guy selling hot dogs” if they were fit for consumption. The problem is the law becoming a proxy for something else, and then the something else is forgotten. This was highlighted beautifully by the interviewed policeman not having a clue why a permit was needed.

Meh, I don’t buy the fairness argument. If I buy lemonade from kids I expect it to be dodgy. If I buy food from an adult, I expect it to be clean. Yes, yes. I know about spitting in food, etc. But I have the expectation of clean food. (If I didn’t, I’d just have to consign myself to never eating out)

Also, as an article pointed out - the point of cops instead of robots is to be able to bend the law.

2 Likes

Banana stands are totally different…there’s money in the banana stand.

4 Likes

There’s always money in the banana stand.

5 Likes

That only applies if the person is white and male…since these are ‘not-males’ it doesn’t apply to them.

What? No “centurions, throw her to the ground, roughly!” So disappointed the cops couldn’t make an appearance in this vid.

1 Like

Next thing you know, we’ll be asking the cops to act like human members of the community!

2 Likes

Glad to see that there’s so little actual crime in suburban Texas cities that Cops can break up kid’s pool parties and lemonade stands.

Or maybe they are choosing to focus on powerless people because addressing the real crime issues is just too difficult?

“Don’t make me run around in this heat with all my (superfluous and self-chosen) gear on” - paraphrase of what Ninja-boy yelled at the kids at the pool party

1 Like

But… X is outlawed!?

Shut down the thread. We’re done here!

1 Like

This is a pretzel town, pretty boy.

1 Like