Texas pastor says the government should shoot gay people "in the back of the head" (video)

Will no one rid me of this troublesome priest?

15 Likes

I guess the kind pastor must think he lives in a Theocracy, sadly he is just in a Constitutional Cult.

3 Likes

I really hate not being able to read flagged posts anymore. Not as much as I hate PREACHERS, of course. But still. Maddening.

13 Likes

It takes a few flags to hide them, and then it’s up to the mod to approve or remove them. But one mentioned shooting him, the rest were variations of “oh, this man must be gay!”.

10 Likes

Thanks. Used to be you had the option to click and read if you wanted to, which I prefer just out of morbid curiosity.

8 Likes

Give it up for the religion of love everybody!

We can stop making broad sweeping generalizations about literally billions of our fellow human beings based on the rantings of a few fascists any time now.

17 Likes

Yeah, I’m getting pretty sick of people trying to combat hate by spreading hate against a different group. It doesn’t really seem to be helping. I’m an atheist, but Jesus was onto something with that whole “love your enemies” and “turn the other cheek” stuff.

16 Likes

This self-proclaimed Christian probably doesn’t realize that if Jesus states that thinking impure thoughts about your neighbor’s wife constitutes adultery for purposes of Thou shalt not commit adultery (Matthew 5:28) then I’m pretty sure He would also consider saying you want people dead constitutes killing for purposes of Thou shalt not kill (Matthew 5:21, Matthew 19:19, Mark 10:19, Luke 18:20).

With that level of sin staining his soul (he’s sure as Hell not going to go to confession and do penance for his sin of violating this Commandment) this asshole may be surprised with how fast his soul plummets downward when he dies.

14 Likes

Yeah I think hate functions more like a pathogen or like a pollutant/toxin in a solution, rather than like fire. You can fight fire with fire. I dunno if you can fight dimethylmercury with dimethylmercury. It’s so natural to feel rage and hatred in the face of terrible things. It seems like maybe it’s the most instinctive way to treat a threat, but it often just makes everything worse.

14 Likes

I’m with you. I guess that’s just how it goes now.

3 Likes

See also: “Sister Mary Ignatius Explains It All”. I don’t understand how that isn’t being promoted all the time everywhere. It really distills the inherent insanity.

What is said in that tweet cannot be emphasized and repeated enough. So much commentary about politics and the religious right completely miss the point because the people commenting/reporting aren’t from that world and don’t understand that they don’t care about the usual metrics of life. If given a choice between being a country of enslaved dirt eaters or a beacon of prosperity, health, and happiness, they would shrug and ask “but what about your eternal soul”. I mean what’s the use of debating public policy when this is their starting postulate?

6 Likes

Where do people learn this kind of hate? I mean how the hell does someone else’s sexual preference impact you at all? The same can be said for race. It’s just fucking maddening.

12 Likes

Confession in his church would probably be like auditing in Scientology, i.e. everything you confess is noted down and added to the fat file of dirt they have on you.

8 Likes
10 Likes

They learn it from their parents and from performative pastors in churches that can quote chapter and verse from the appalling parts of the Old Testament but don’t spend any time considering the teachings of the Gospels.

10 Likes

yeah, but, those people are “delusional” and Richard Dawkins said so, so that’s okay… /s

6 Likes

Some preachers can stay.

(CW: This is MSP with their most uncompromising antifascism dealing with the atrocities of the 1930s and 40s, and not their radio friendly chart hits.)

ETA:

7 Likes

:+1: Remember that Mister Fred Rogers was a Presbyterian minister. From all I’ve read, watched, and heard about him he practiced what he preached.

16 Likes

Ultimately because Christianity is a majority religion still it really needs to be Christians who stand up the most against this kind of terrorism and hate.

I’m not saying every Christian can or will do so… But they should.

14 Likes