Texas pastor says the government should shoot gay people "in the back of the head" (video)

There are many Christians who do stand against hate. We just don’t get headlines.

15 Likes

Some Christians may stand up against other Christians, but I suspect a large number will simply leave the Church.

I was confirmed many years ago, but I can count on both hands (maybe even just one) the number of times I’ve been inside a church since. I think it’s just twice for weddings, once for a baptism, thankfully not for any funerals. Maybe once or twice to admire architecture or artwork.

9 Likes

It’s often thankless doing the right thing on an individual level so thank you.

Eventually if enough people move in this direction religious leadership will follow suit. Well, I believe it is possible at least.

12 Likes

I was raised in a multi-religious family with a lot of dysfunction and contempt for others even (or especially) within the family. Over time I was dragged through many spiritual journeys until I just kind of became my own thing independent of all of it. I have always been an outsider and so have an outsider’s perspective. For a while, I tried to find myself in big Atheism but, honestly, all the same problems that people have are everywhere people are. That’s the lesson I take from it all.

And yeah… that experience has left me thinking similarly. The numbers and polls seem to back it up too. Many Christians just find it easier to walk away than to try and claim the power structures of their Churches for themselves even when they themselves believe those same Churches are so corrupted that they are turning people from God.

You’d have to really believe in something to fight men like this over it.

Still, I also see how that leaves the marginalized and the intended victims of men like this pastor to defend themselves from a massive social and political power.

9 Likes

Fuck he is stupid. Just horrible and awful and the worst and what the fuck… but also just so stupid. Listening to him try to reason was painful. I’m not trying to downplay him at all, I find that someone this stupid has an audience makes the absolute idiocy coming from him additionally terrifying.

4 Likes

“As ye sow, so shall ye reap” comes to mind…

Texas has no shortage of religious loons, grifters, & bigots, but there sure seems to be a concentration of 'em in the Metroplex. Seems like this particular festival of jackasses has been at it a while.:
Stedfast Baptist Church has been in Fort Worth since 2014 when founding pastor Donnie Romero, who moved to Fort Worth from Arizona, called for LGBTQ people to be killed…
And that founder had some skeletons in his closet.
Then the f.o.j. had to move over and over, until they ended up in a Dallas suburb, all for spewing the same bile.
Bigots hiding behind the robes of Jesus.

It’s maybe not surprising that some of the wildest people I knew growing up were the offspring of preachers and cops.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 4 days. New replies are no longer allowed.