Thanksgiving Recipes 2022

LOL! I can’t say I agree with everything in that piece (I know, it’s over-the-top humor, not necessarily meant to be taken literally—but still, it’s based on some measure of truth for some people) but yeah, I feel seen, and I’m sure many others do too.

The funnest Thanksgivings for me were the potluck “friendsgivings” in my early twenties just out of college (long before that term for it was coined—we called it “The Orphans’ Thanksgiving” because we were all from out of state, too far to travel home, plus any Mpls or MN natives who didn’t want to be with their families).

There were also some years where we had a small Thanksgiving meal with just a few friends, and then held an open-house for the rest of the evening with desserts, wine, and coffee, for folks to drop by after their own family meals. That way we got to see many more of our friends, and they got to blow off steam and tell their stories of their fraught (or not) family gatherings. That worked out really well, and a good time was had by all.

11 Likes

I love remembering you’re from MNPLS. My all time favorite Thanksgivings were a few years after college when I’d go visit one of my best friends who lived out there. She worked at the Seward Cafe, and the cafe would host a thanksgiving open to all comers.
My friend and I would go early and cook stuff in the kitchen with a bunch of other fun people. Others would bring food in already made, like a potluck. Someone would bring an art station for making hand turkeys. There was a grill and a campfire in the courtyard. The mix of people who showed up was awesome. Some treating it like a much needed soup kitchen and warm place to hang, others there with friends and family. The overall conviviality was what I would wish for everyone.

10 Likes

Seward Cafe! A mere five or six blocks from me :smiley: One of my first housemates in Mpls worked there—that was back in 1977 or so. I hung out there some in younger days, and more recently for lunches after study-group meetings. It was often way too loud and crowded for me on a weekend, but yes a real scene of conviviality at any time. Since the pandemic and the Uprising it’s temporarily closed as a restaurant, but doing good community things.

7 Likes

Taking this advice, because of COVID. So, this will be my third Zoomsgiving. :woman_shrugging:t4:. At least the dress code only has to cover what can be seen on camera! :wink:

9 Likes
6 Likes
14 Likes

As soon as any family members get to your house.

12 Likes

Halloween.

19 Likes

You Got Me Lol GIF by BrownSugarApp

13 Likes

Half on the spit outside and half in the oven. Resting now until I carve it up.

10 Likes

Halloween!
You almost made me pass a shot of Expresso out my nose!
Cheers!

9 Likes

How it’s starting. Oyster stuffing.

11 Likes

and here’s me just stuffing myself with oysters:

oh, and lobster mac!

nary a turkey to be seen!
even some old friends not seen since before the 'demic. Scuba Lou. always fun to sit and talk and laugh with him.

11 Likes

Dang it, I just saw this thread and now it’s too late!

I made two smoked turkeys and Scotch eggs for our Friendsgiving last Saturday.

My Scotch eggs recipe is from here,

…except I make the eggs differently. The recipe above makes the yolks too hard.

For smoking, I religiously follow the advice of Meathead at amazingribs.com

14 Likes

If you weren’t 3,105.4 miles from me. I would be knocking on your door.
Looks great.
Cheers

10 Likes

I think I remember that place

I may have settled in the wrong bohemian Mecca

6 Likes

Not food, but a recipe for continued joy

Archive version: archive.ph

12 Likes

I made this pie today and my Dad added it to the foods he wants served at his funeral. So it’s a winner.

Here was mine:

Super rich. I think that next time I make it I will incorporate a little bourbon. I subbed half of the semi-sweet chocolate chips with milk chocolate chips and I think that was the right choice.

11 Likes
8 Likes

Forgot to share yesterday.

15 Likes