The 20 best anime movies not made by Studio Ghibli

Hmmm… Not really. You’ll get a lot of discussion on that, but the mods do a fantastic job for a relatively high-profile site, driving trollies is minimal. Not sure what black magic is done to achieve that :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oooh shiny! Have not seen FLCL, thanks for recommendation!

1 Like

You’re in for a treat! (or a confusion!) :smiley:

6 Likes

Good point. I have withdrawn from the more chaotic places. It’s easy to forget how bad it can get.

I love FLCL. It pairs nicely with cannabis. Ok. I might say that about all anime. But the trippy nature of FLCL pairs extra nicely.

1 Like

Dead Leaves is, IMO, up there with AKIRA and Redline.

There’s stuff in Memories and Short Peace which I think are especially good as well but nothing quite as arresting as Dead Leaves. Or at least in the same way as Dead Leaves achieves it.

ETA: I know we’re talking movies but HOLY COW! have you seen One Punch Man?

5 Likes

[quote=“uniqueusername, post:2, topic:92219, full:true”]
I was always a big fan of Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade. Just me?
[/quote]That movie was good, but you have to be in the right mood to appreciate it. It’s just so bleak and depressing that it’s a hard watch. Not as much so as Grave of the Fireflies, which starts depressing and goes downhill from there, though.

Another movie/series that should be on this list is the Madoka Magica movies. Yeah, they’re a re-do of the TV series, but so was Evangelion, and Madoka Magica was waaaaay better.

2 Likes

First three episodes and i loved it.

Got distracted by RL stuff, but planning to carry on :slight_smile:

1 Like

As soon as I finished One Punch Man I went back and re-watched it. And then watched it a third time with a friend over a weekend.

3 Likes

A little surprised that this list includes Evangelion 2.22, but not End Of Evangelion, one of the most celebrated anime films of all time and the inspiration for the rebuilds?

Suppose it’s telling the the article’s author is looking for a

a single, satisfying ending

:unamused:

Garymon, Would also recommend Myanimelist for a quick sort of community influenced ratings, and a good starting point for seeing what’s what. The forums are a mess, but the site itself is quite handy, especially for keeping track of seasonal anime.

2 Likes

How about Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honnêamise?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Space_Force:_The_Wings_of_Honn%C3%AAamise

5 Likes

Dunno if it merits top 20, but can’t be far behind:

1 Like

Happy to see Kimi no Na wa and The Girl who Leapt Through Time. Both were pretty moving.

But imagine my shock that not one of the Pokemon movies made the cut. Really? There’s 20 of them and you didn’t like even one?

1 Like

Can’t complain about this list; so long as it has Satoshi Kon’s movies, Wolf Children, and Summer Wars. Personally, I’d have put Steamboy over Akira; but then I’d get the fanboys coming after me.

4 Likes

I’m not really familiar with the manga or the live action movies, but I felt the anime movie stood quite well on its own, assuming a certain level of mystery is acceptable.

Every Frame A Painting has a wonderful analysis of Satoshi Kon’s style. Glad to see him well-represented on the list.

https://youtu.be/oz49vQwSoTE

4 Likes

The Aozora app has a sync with my anime list. So when I got the app I created an account on my anime list. But I haven’t spent much time exploring it yet.

Adult Swim is producing a sequel to FLCL. Process that.

Adult Swim Is Making a Sequel to FLCL, the Coolest Anime Ever

3 Likes

I rewatched it last year. I still really like it. Animation and design is great. Something about the concept of taking what is supposed to be a crew run MG-42 and making it a single user weapon is both crazy impractical and awesome.

The story line is dark and I like it. It seems like older Anime had more thinking story lines - lines where you weren’t quite sure how the ending made you feel.

Dead Leaves was awesome. Reminds me of the Tank Girl comics.

Saw the preview - it looked good.

Eh… good - I hope? We all thought more Star Wars movies was a good idea too.

Relevant to your interests:

4 Likes

The list seems to be solid enough, it has the true classics like Tokyo Godfathers and Ghost in the Shell and Perfect Blue is in its rightful place. Thank God Grave of the Fireflies is not on this list. I found 5 cm/s to be beautiful so I imagine the rest of the newer stuff is ranked well.

I have not seen a good number of these since I skirt the edge of anime fandom, and I’m on the Evangelion is pretentious crap side of the fence. I know it’s not a super popular place to be. I know a lot more about manga than anime in general, and I still feel it’s the better medium for these stories. Reading Akira was a lot better than watching the dub (and then the sub) back in the day. I mean, I’ll take reading a long-standing adventure like 20th Century Boys and 21st Century Boys over any anime I can think of.

That said, I second @Liam1’s suggestion - with the warning it has a (near) rape scene that is out of nowhere. The 2001 Metropolis is great like @miasm recommends. Jin-Roh is also an amazing anime as well that @uniqueusername mentions. I like some of the Lupin III movies that hold a very retro charm to them, but I’m only capable of thinking of bonkers OVAs like Tank Police or Madbull 34.

2 Likes

For Redline, which i’ve seen: “The film took seven years and 100,000 hand drawings to create, all that hard work paid off”

In reality the movie bombed in Japan and globally. Single handedly crushed the studio’s dreams to pioneer more hand drawn anime movies and series, they had a spinoff based on the character Trava with the show called Fist Planet i think. Looked really cool and the fluid animation in their pilot is like Redline (though much rougher).

I still really really really loved Redline, the plot is kind of thin, but there’s a lot of subtle contextual plot elements that are not explicitly told to the audience. Every time i rewatch it i catch something new and my mental picture of the universe for Redline gets richer and more interesting.

1 Like