The 20 best anime movies not made by Studio Ghibli

Also i read the ranking list, and Paprika is ranked higher than Akira???

Paprika has great animation, but compared to Akira the story is just not as good. Nor has the movie been as influential.

2 Likes

The most soul crushing movie ever made. A japanese friend showed it to me, she was inconsolably crying while watching. My little black heart was moved but i didn’t cry… i suspect i would’ve had i been by myself. But yes, generally it’s a one time viewing kind of film. I’ve tried, very unsuccessfully, to get people to watch it over the years after explaining the plot to them. I think it’s a great, and important, movie but that kind of emotional commitment as a viewer is not easy to give.

4 Likes

Did you not notice every other Satoshi Kon movie is on the list? Most fans of his would have put Perfect Blue in the top 10 too.

3 Likes

Like the film Primer, If you understand FLCL the first time you watch it, you weren’t really watching it.

3 Likes

I tell people not to watch it, knowing that at least some will in response.

It’s too important of a film to avoid just because people are generally afraid to feel severe emotional pain.

This was probably the first anime movie I had ever seen. It was enough to catapult me into other stuff. I wonder if it holds up. I remember it being brilliant.

Hopefully, James Cameron doesn’t completely screw up the live version. Ugh. Why James Cameron?

3 Likes

In terms of long-running manga series, have you read any of Urasawa’s work other than 20th Century Boys? I’d highly recommend trying Monster, his other long-running series. Pluto is incrediblessed as well, albeit a little on the short side.

1 Like

Not Urasawa’s work, but I need a new series to read. My #1 manga for now and for a while has been Dungeon Meshi by the ingenious Ryōko Kui. Her work on making fantasy worlds that are interesting and logical is possessed by very few, and her art is easily understood and expresses emotion extremely well.

I didn’t for a long time, but now I have been trying to stick to mangakas I like over just the titles. Unfortunately the language barrier and lack of time keeping up makes that hard.

No love for Mamoru Ooshi’s Pat Labor 2? Rather surprised about that one.

Akira has to be on the list for cultural and historical significance alone (same as Ghost in the Shell), but Steamboy didn’t really hold up, IMHO. The best part of the movie was the end credits. It was lushly animated, but boring through most of it (though some action sequences were great). It’s largely passed over for good reason…I would have loved to see his work Domu get adapted, but that’s never happened.

2 Likes

Technically a miniseries rather than a movie, but

5 Likes

I really enjoyed Lain.

2 Likes

What this list is missing in my opinion are these two anime movies (one previously mentioned in this discussion):

Despite this being a series and not a movie, it deserves an honorary mention. I never hear it talked about and I honestly believe it is one of the most powerful and relevant anime I have ever watched (The entire anime series can be found on Youtube! I highly recommend you watch it.):

Much of the series deals with serious moral issues relating to war, the consequences of war, slavery, and the exploitation of children.
Now and Then, Here and There - Wikipedia

Dido for this anime series. While it does have more than a little ‘fan service’ at some points, its topic and music make up for it.

3 Likes

That rape scene is off-putting and not earned at all… but any good list knows that #20 slot is for a thing you like that didn’t quite earn the spot. I mean, I might put Twilight of the Cockroaches on there just because it means a ton to me even if it isn’t… well… terrific. I do love Royal Space Force though.

I hate Elfen Lied. Not as much as I hate Gantz.

OK, I just found out this is a thing:

Live action Terra Formars? I will never understand what catches on sometimes.

2 Likes

I completely agree. The movie would have lost nothing by excluding that scene, if anything it would have become a much better movie for doing so. That one little segment of it pulls the entire beautifully animated story down by more than a few notches (it sours the watching experience).

1 Like

Yeah it’s one of the lasting criticisms of the movie that cannot be countered unfortunately. It’s such a great personal story of growth outside that moment.

1 Like

Following Mangakas can sometimes be disappointing, as it seems many of them rehash themes and developements on thee way to using them on their best known works. On the other hand; it’s especially interesting to see the art style change and evolve alongside the multiple series. I love seeing artists who later become successful in the days when they were assistants. The most noticeable case of that effect would probably be Q Hashida, who intiatialy worked on Blame! before creating Dorohedoro.

If you like the emotive, simplistic style of art, you should check out Voynich Hotel. It’s a fun manga filled with episodes centering a number of differing groups all on the same island, totally worth a look.

I’m a little disappointed that Angel’s Egg didn’t make the cut. : (

1 Like

I’m watching Flip Flappers now. Very close feel to FLCL except it’s a girl coming of age that meets a mysterious pink haired girl that takes her on trippy adventures of self discovery.

I watched Jin-Roh today. Great film. I need to rewatch it soon to really take everything in.

I also watched today:

5 Centimeters per second: Beautiful and sweet. I found the final chapter a bit muddled but I was also a bit muddled at the time.

Redline: What a blast from start to finish. Frenetic with a vivid palette.

Your Name: Gorgeous Skies! A super natural mystery love story with strong feels.

Paprika: Wow! A kaleidoscope of colors as people battle in each other’s dreams. Inception was fun but pales next to this.

Back the list to pick my next movie…

2 Likes

As with so many others…beautiful, but why the fuck did they have to put that gratuitous and jarring attempted rape scene into it?

Perfect if you remove that scene.

2 Likes