The 2019 Halloween Candy Hierarchy

That sounds about like what I do to prepare (I live near Somerville/Cambridge Mass, and our neighborhood is mobbed with kids). But we have a multi bowl system:
• the big bowl is fun-size candy bars, probably 50% Reese’s cups
• a smaller bowl is full of Dum Dums and Tootsie Rolls for surly teens in hoodies
• a third bowl has gummy candy and small toys for allergy-sensitive kids (teal pumpkin!)
• and we keep a small hoard of full size bars for super-creative kids with homemade costumes. Cripes, we get kids who put on skits and stuff. They get extra candy.

12 Likes

Basically an old-timey cough drop.

3 Likes

We also keep a separate basket with allergy-safe candies. Not often needed, but boy does the kid appreciate it when it is!

8 Likes

It would be fun to hand these out but I’m sure some parents would freak.

9 Likes

Palmer is the shittiest of the crap ‘milk chocolates’ available on the market.

There. I said it.

@RexDart: There. You said it. Feels good to get it all out there, eh?

General question: How long before MJ edibles get on the list? Can’t be too many years out.

@chgoliz: I went trick-or-treating in farm country one year. Odd experience for this city Kidd. We hopped into the giant pickup truck and drove farmhouse to farmhouse. Didn’t get a ton of candy that year, but it was all full-size candy bars/bags.

7 Likes

How are Mounds and Almond Joy not on this list?

7 Likes

As is appopriate to the discussion: Ze Frank’s guide to halloween candy trading:

2 Likes

Not my contention - more about chalk vs chocolate of US vs commonwealth smarties.

1 Like

the Best “Halloween” Candy:
IMG_8284
IMG_8285
IMG_8286b

4 Likes

It is called Passion, Lurker, git you sum

1 Like

Eat 'em up yum!

You’re right. We should all just stop this nonsense and leave the internet’s infrastructure to practical, sensible business uses.

2 Likes

Also:

1. The black licorice hate is dumb.
  2. “Licorice (not black)” should read “Licorice (not actually licorice)” because “red licorice” should really just be called “red chewy candy.” It doesn’t even have white chocolate’s pretext for using the name of the real thing by containing an ingredient from the genuine article (true white chocolate uses cocoa butter for its fat content, or it’s not supposed to use the name).
6 Likes

Just deadpan “what? They’re candy sticks! I defy you to find the word “cigarette” anywhere on the package! They look like old cigarette brands? Well, I don’t know, I was never the heavy smoker you obviously were” etc. when they come to complain.

1 Like

By all means NO! I was not suggesting that at all. I work in tech, so more traffic == more server purchases!

1 Like

Rat-Trick-or-treat

8 Likes

My main bug bears.
Hershey’s chocolate should be below white bread. At least I can bread a cat with bread. Hershey’s is calories and am awful taste.

Also why the licorice hate.

In a word: dee-scust-ing

1 Like

For the record, I’d rather eat a horehound candy than red ‘licorice’ or Hershey’s chocolate. Now THAT’s saying something!

edited to add (as the thread is closed):

Saw this while waiting to check out at a craft store…

4 Likes

Seconded. If you have ever had Fisherman’s Friend cough drops you know what it tastes like.

Also I like candy corn (and the various other similar confections) and I like Necco Wafers. If you don’t like em I will gladly take them.

3 Likes