The 2019 Halloween Candy Hierarchy

Be very wary of anyone handing out creme eggs at Halloween!

3 Likes

You have an objectively better use for their time that will matter more when the elementary particles of our isolated corner of the unknowable vastness of the cosmos are being torn asunder by the inexorable expansion of all things?

Melts in your mouth, not in the abyss.

10 Likes

Those aren’t trick-or-treaters, they’re rats. You’re feeding rats.

2 Likes

Zagnuts are missing. No skin off my nose. The very first candy bar I bought on my own was Zagnuts. Bit into it. Saw it was lousy (sorry) with live weevils. And the first shall be the last.

1 Like

For what it’s worth, Rhett and Link did their own Best Candy survey on Good Mythical Morning, in three episodes. Here’s ep. 1.

Peanuts? Sesame? Epipens?

2 Likes

As far as actual candy (as opposed to various intoxicants), my top 5, in no particular order: (Some of these I’ve not had in 20+ years. My tastes may have changed…)

York Peppermint Patties
Good ‘n’ Plenty
Sno-Caps
Whoppers
Tootsie Rolls

3 Likes

@SeamusAMurphy How dare you disparage the traditional foods of the People’s Republic of Cambridge? What the heck is a HoreHound though?

2 Likes

A few years ago my housemates and I were handing out candy and three people my age came up to the house in ragtime-era clothes, one with a wooden cabinet strapped to his chest. “Reverse trick or treat!” they sang (literally) and the guy opened it up to reveal a tiny bar inside. He mixed cocktails on request, we had a drink, and they sauntered off. It was like magic.

11 Likes

s643667121527569464_p15_i2_w1000_600x
The best Halloween treat.

1 Like

Disagree. My sister has been handing full size bars out for years and maintains a level of peace and harmony with the local youth; peace which, as the evil overlord of their school networking, she does not generally earn by default.

And if you’re in Mississauga… Kennedy Road, just south of the 407… Lindt… bulk… check it out… bring insulin.

Cool study though… I’ve seen far worse than this in journals. :thinking:

3 Likes

Gonna disagree here; cash tastes funny and goes straight through you.

Seriously, if I’m trick or treating I want candy, not a handful of pennies. Folding money isn’t great either because that’s just work for the trick or treater. Basically, you better be giving out silver dollars and even then you should be prepared for complaints.

2 Likes

It’s a hard candy that tastes a little like root beer.

3 Likes

Where do you live? I want to go there!

6 Likes

Regardless if you suck them very slowly or crunch them very fast, ccommonwealth Smarties are a pale imitation of M&Ms.

I didn’t respond before now, but I just have to say, where do people live that they can afford to give out full sized candy bars?

As per usual, we prepared by getting about 650 fun-sized candies at Costco for $60, and we know from long experience that if we hold to just one per kid, we can probably make it to 7:30pm before running out. There is no way we could give out 650 full sized candy bars. Plus, we’d get swarmed (literally) if word got out that we were doing so.

A close friend who lives in the same neighborhood has a party every year at her place for friends who live where they don’t get any trick-or-treaters at all. I go over every year after we run out (being closer to the target street for Halloween, we get more kids than my friend does). The other people always sound so wistful about not having this excitement one day a year, and never tire of staffing the front steps.

Yeah, that’s right: you sit out on your front steps, because there’s no way you’re going to open and close your door 650 times.

The candies might be smaller, but the sheer volume and creativity in the costumes is superlative!

6 Likes

Damn compiler gives me a free 15 min a few times a day :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Just paint a pumpkin turquoise and put it on your porch. With kiddos, it’s like garlic to a vampire.

2 Likes