The $3,000 Cybertruck tent looks like cheap junk compared to the official photos

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/08/the-3000-cybertruck-tent-looks-like-cheap-junk-compared-to-the-official-photos.html

7 Likes

The ‘Fyre Festival’ of car tents and camping.

11 Likes

The tent in the promotional photo looks aesthetically consistent with the truck but it still looks like a terrible tent design; no privacy or even a rain flap.

Much like the Cybertruck looks like a truck designed for people who know nothing about trucks, the tent looks like it was designed for people who know nothing about camping.

29 Likes

Would the tent fit into the bed, even folded so that you could use it later at the site?

4 Likes

I love the tiny (inflatable?) backpack and hiking boots.

6 Likes

That’s convenient and appropriate, since the Cybertrukkk itself looks like expensive junk.

5 Likes

coooooot,

1 Like

The Pontiac Aztec seems quaint now.

Rather have one of those fire traps than Musk’s POC any day.

11 Likes

I haven’t kept up with the deets on the CT … do the front lights flicker like that on purpose? Holy cats, if so. Looks infuriating at best, and dangerously distracting – possibly seizure-inducing – at worst.

3 Likes

Lisa Kudrow Omg GIF by Friends

5 Likes

Or the Fallout 76 “canvas” bag.

6 Likes

…probably work even better on a cybertruck:

Want to Steal a Tesla? Try Using a Flipper Zero

Researchers uncovered a dead simple social engineering attack that could let criminals drive away with your car.
By Thomas Germain

Security researchers report they uncovered a design flaw that let them hijack a Tesla using a Flipper Zero, a controversial $169 hacking tool. Partners Tommy Mysk and Talal Haj Bakry of Mysk Inc. said the attack is as simple as swiping a Tesla owner’s login information, opening the Tesla app, and driving away. The victim would have no idea they lost their $40,000 vehicle. Mysk said the exploit takes minutes, and to prove it all works, he stole his own car.

The issue isn’t “hacking” in the sense of breaking into software, it’s a social engineering attack that fools a user into handing over their information. Using a Flipper, the researchers set up a WiFi network called “Tesla Guest,” the name Tesla uses for its guest networks at service centers. Mysk then created a website that looks like Tesla’s login page. …

(shouldn’t ‘hate on’ Flipper for this, any RaspberryPi or a laptop would work as well. It’s the screwed-up ‘security’ of Tesla, not the hacker cunning of Flipper)

4 Likes

Snerk! :laughing:

I got a very nice tent that sleeps 4 comfortably for $150 at Costco. For $3000 I could probably get a tent the size of a medieval king’s siege quarters!

15 Likes

Fall Out Bag would be a great parody band name.

3 Likes

For viewing convenience

6 Likes

This one comes with a slide!

16 Likes

Needs more poles.

YARN | - Well, what kind of tent? - The kind with the most poles. | No Country for Old Men (2007) | Video clips by quotes | ab02e6a4 | 紗

8 Likes

Just dropping by to say that last week I saw my very first real, live MuskTruck on the street. It is one butt-ugly creation. Photos don’t do it (in)justice. It’s perhaps the second-ugliest vehicle I’ve seen (#1 shown below).

10 Likes

found on fark:

19 Likes

What I find interesting is that the original looks more like a canopy with a pop-up roof. Which might be functional (and, yes curtains would be an excellent accessory). But this monstrosity looks like it’s made out of a bunch of extra-large trash bags.

I bet it would be awful in any sort of rain. And probably a total pain to assemble.

2 Likes