"The Banana Splits" trailer is nightmare fuel

Ned’s Atomic Dustbin had a pretty fun homage to them back in the day.

Yep. They did slapstick right, and the Krofft brothers’ set design/costumes were amazing.

There was a pretty decent comic a couple years back where they teamed up with The Suicide Squad.

11 Likes

I absolutely adore these DC/H-B crossovers.

4 Likes
2 Likes

What? The Banana Splits? With Jonny Quest and Space Ghost as infinitely better choices?

5 Likes

The ones I’ve read have been a lot of fun. The Snagglepuss during the McCarthy era series was outstanding, though I’ve seen it reported (not sure how reputably) that it got the entire line stopped because it made a Warner exec uncomfortable.

3 Likes

JESUS K. SHAGNASTY LORD GOD ALMIGHTY CHRIST.

And the perverts who thought it was a good idea to make this are allowed to drive, vote, and own weapons. This country’s mental health care system is not broken, it’s insane.

3 Likes

Why do you think kids called the show “The Buttana Shits”?

2 Likes

Came here for this.

2 Likes

Someone’s not taking being turned into a villain well. This is probably why they only let you communicate by honking.

5 Likes

Johnny Quest is out of the question due to Venture Brothers already parodying it mercilessly. Moving far deeper into that milieu than others would have done.

Kind of like its nearly impossible to watch the Michael Caine Harry Palmer spy movies (or Connery Bond films) with a straight face after Austin Powers

2 Likes

Not only is Jonny Quest not out of the question… it is my answer! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Welcome to the 21st century, grandpa!

(I, too, have difficulty with straight-to-video “movies,” but that’s the new, post-Netflix, post-4k-big-screen-tv, reality. Increasingly, movies are bypassing theaters entirely. The difference between a “video” and a “movie” is length and maybe, if we’re being exclusionary, production quality.)

2 Likes

is this real? b/c I would actually watch this.

4 Likes

No. And apparently no acting either.

4 Likes

This is exactly the plot of this season (2) of Happy!, also on SyFy. But I doubt it will be a fraction as good.
Well, I take that back. 1/1000 is still a fraction.

1 Like
2 Likes

And HR Puffenstuff (I did not get the implication in the name until years later) and Sigmund and the SeaMonsters and Lidsville. Yes i did. I blame that for my twisted outlook on life!

6 Likes

I see lawsuits from parents in WB’s future.

Austin Powers never really worked for me because the Connery/Moore Bond films were already self-parodies, plus there was a huge industry in the 60s of Bond parody films. (And the 70s, and 80s. One odd late one is Go for it with spaghetti western actor Terence Hill. It is a pretty mediocre standard B-movie until you discover the bad guy’s plot, which is one of the most surreal things I’ve ever seen in a movie. The big weapon is a bomb which will destroy the concept of number. I had the movie on in the background while soldering, and when that part rolled around I (a) burned myself, and (b) had to go back to make sure I had heard correctly. That is serious Doctor Faustroll stuff.

6 Likes

Austin Powers tried too hard in too many places. They don’t hold up with a rewatch for me.

You know what really nailed it were the recent French spy spoofs. OSS 117 Cairo Nest Of Spies and OSS 117 Lost In Rio. Jean Dujardin plays the clueless full of sexist imperialist crap superspy perfectly.

5 Likes

I was a goofy kid, it was a goofy show.
Tell me then please, what was there for me not to love.

3 Likes