The BBS Lounge

ARE YOU BACK AGAIN NO WHY NOT WTF WHEN WAS THIS WHERE TF ARE WE

7 Likes

Those were better, naive times, weren’t they?

5 Likes

Sorry!

You don’t have access to that topic.

General.

6 Likes

14 Likes

17 Likes

I wasn’t actively here when that last discussion happened, so I’m not letting it cloud my views on likes, I’m just going to provide the poll above, those who have an opinion one way or the other can vote.

For context though, the limit is currently 1000, so right now it’s “limited” in only pretty extreme (or awesome?) cases. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I will just say it was frustrating a thoughtful and very good member who provided insightful comments to the point they were ready to leave over it. For the size of the BBS it did need to be raised and I honestly think the current limits are fine as they are.

9 Likes

Tally is in! with 82-18%, we’ll be raising the like cap. I don’t think unlimited is possible, but I’m sure I can raise it to like a million or something. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Boy, the joint is jumping…

8 Likes

So this is the new lounge?

I made a post to appeal for help for a friends kiddo. Check it out.

5 Likes

Honestly I think with the 2000 the regulars used to have that is more than enough without people making bots/scripts. 1000 is probably more than enough. But you have the power!

5 Likes

The follow-to-like script has a habit of breaking in long threads. I fear my mouse will break soon from all the liking. 2K is extremely hard to use up, script or no script.

1 Like

For the record, @orenwolf, that person was me, so AMA; or at least now you know what username to search under if you’re interested in following the original saga.

10 Likes

Thanks. I actually read a lot of the past discussion while basically living on the BBS over the last 48 hours. :slight_smile:

It’s part of why I generally agree that “unlimited” is the right choice. Since that conversation, we’ve seen a propagation of “likes” to most of the social services as well, most with no cap of any kind.

5 Likes

Hopefully that’s given you a clear sense of how tightly woven this community is. We have each other’s backs.

And because we feel so at home here, we willingly promote this site everywhere, both online and IRL. Raising the like cap especially meant that we felt heard and appreciated, and more of us started to spend more time here, which translates to more click-throughs, more positive reviews in social media, and more outsiders being brought here for the first time.

We are a net revenue stream, not a drain on resources.

16 Likes

I hope people enjoy all their likes. I’ll continue to clutch mine.

6 Likes

I kinda think likes should be weighted, so that if you’re the type who gives likes rarely, with careful consideration, then your “like” should be worth more than a hypothetical “like every post”-er.

I guess the only place that matters currently is in determining which posts get floated up for the “summarize this topic” feature, though…

2 Likes

The fun seems to have been sucked right out of the place since the new order. I guess that’s what they wanted - comment on the article topics and that’s it. Do not deviate. Don’t question the benefactors. The chocolate ration is now 20 grams per week.

14 Likes

I hesitate to bring this up, but you should probably be aware that indiscriminately liking as many posts as possible is one of the behaviors that earned OtherMichael a reputation as a troublemaker.

Like Strike part II - #107 by codinghorror

Not judging. Follow your bliss.

10 Likes

Heh. He liked one of my year-old posts which consisted of nothing but a video. This video had already been taken down at that time, so he basically liked an empty post.

Man, if we’d only had that intervention I suggested.

8 Likes