The Candy Hierarchy 2015: your essential guide to tonight's treats

Hello, this is Dave (one of the co-authors of this piece)

Just a quick note (I saw the link in the piece isn’t working right now), but you can get full access to the raw data at http://www.scq.ubc.ca/2015-candy-hierarchy-supplemental-raw-data-and-new-analyses/

This is for you data nerds who might want to dig into the data a little deeper (we didn’t have a lot of time to play around with it). We’ve provided access to the full excel spreadsheet (which also includes data that was cut off from our analysis due to us having to get started earlier for today’s piece on BoingBoing), as well as the ongoing data published via google sheets. This last one might be handy because it also allows usage of the data as an API, if you want to try some more sophisticated things with the data (it would, for example, make a great data set for a course on this sort of stuff). We even have an example by a colleague of mine (Jenny Bryan) who has released (on github) a way to use google sheet data as API for R (a stats programming language).

We’re essentially hoping that with more rigorous analysis of the data, we might be able to find out whether there are statistically relevant differences in how different folks rate their candies For example, do people who see the dress in a certain way, more likely to have joy over certain candies, when compared to the other dress colour choice? Does knowing J.J. Abrams personally result in a certain portfoilio of candy choices? The types of analytical queries are kind of endless, and they don’t even have to relate specifically to candy.

Anyway, if any of you folks are game on, do let me know what you do with the data via twitter or email (db@mail.ubc.ca), and I’ll do my best to be post these other analyses up at the SCQ link above - sort of creating a analytical hub if you will. Hopefully, we’ll be able to make this thing more and more robust each year.

Finally, an afterthought: something Ben and I noticed right after we sent the piece in. If you look at the Peterson Inflex and compare its position to last year, it’s a lot higher up the list. In a way, it sort of suggests that there was less joy overall this year. Might be curious to see how things look next year…

12 Likes

No Sweet Tarts? Bunch of savages in this town. For those of us without a sweet tooth (and we are out there), nothing beats Sweet Tarts

2 Likes

ETA - Check it out you can see the dispenser above the rear view!

6 Likes

If it can be crushed and snorted, I’m in.

2 Likes

You guys are weird. I drink Dr Pepper all the time, but Mr Pibb is kinda hard to come by in L.A., so I generally only get to drink it when I go to the Arclight in Pasadena, or at the Baja Fresh in La Crescenta. So maybe it’s because of the rarity, but to me Mr Pibb is simply Dr Pepper that just tastes a tad sweeter.

Here’s my hierarchy: Mr Pibb > Cherry Vanilla Dr Pepper (available in Coke Freestyle machines) > Cherry Dr Pepper (available in cans and bottles at Ralphs) > Dr Pepper, but I’ll happily drink any of 'em. But then I have a fairly appalling sweet tooth.

4 Likes

I used to order in Dublin Dr. Pepper from Texas for my Dr. Pepper machine. They were still making the original recipe there until a few years ago. Lovely stuff.

3 Likes

Yes it does. Twizzlers are inedible. Red Vines are Nature’s Perfect Food. And you’re British, so you were born without taste buds.

You didn’t by chance have a hand in the creation of Twizzlers, did you?

7 Likes

2 Likes

Ah, yes… that was the best. I still have a bottle or two in my collection. I’ll never forgive Dr Pepper Corporate for spanking the Dublin plant and wiping Dublin Dr Pepper out of existence. I boycotted regular Dr Pepper for months as a result of that. But then they sucked me back in. :disappointed:

1 Like

I have a major sweet tooth, but it is qualified - I don’t like syrupy sweet stuff - I need stuff that has a bit of ‘bite’, sour, etc.

Thanks for coming by!! We are all amateur comedians here, so make sure to take everything said with a pinch of salt… And speaking of salt, where is the Double Salt black licorice on the list?

#hipsterdisappointed

8 Likes

Waterproofing the seams on my roof.

11 Likes

Turkey Twizzlers?

4 Likes

You got licorice in my salt!!
You got salt in my licorice!!

3 Likes

In this house, those with peanut allergies are not allowed. I just buy the candy I like… :smile:

4 Likes

“Whoppers blow QED”? REALLY?

Damn, and here I was enjoying a bowl of whoppers. They’re not very good malted milkballs but malted milkballs are tasty! Am I the only one who likes them?

3 Likes

i handed out candy till my bourbon and coke ran out. I mixed a tall one too. no more bourbon? no more candy.

REESES pair very well with Bulleit.
M&Ms? better with Angels Envy

Licorice, of any kind? throw it in the trash.

the data collection is amazing, when I wake up tomorrow, I’ll drop the spreadsheet into SPSS and see what I can see.

6 Likes

US candy is shite. Especially the ‘chocolate’.

1 Like

t think it’s like beer. Budwieser, Miller, Pabst are all shite. Gross. But I don’t drink it. There’s a microbrewery in Seattle, Freemont brewery. They make some seriously tasty beers like Freemont UniversALE. I think it’s basically the same if you’re specifically shopping for chocolate. There’s a double width, full height section of chocolates in my local grocery store, and most of them are interesting, a few of them are very good, a couple are complete shite. But the tastiest chocolate I’ve ever gotten was from the recreational pot store. It’s only got 10mg of THC per package, so not enough to get me high, but it’s the best chocolate I’ve ever tasted. Made in small batches by professional chocolatiers, and the $30 per 30g price tag is absolutely worth it if we’re going by taste. Hell for some of them I’d pay a lot more.

2 Likes

We used to be doing okay until an international cheese conglomerate bought up Cadbury’s (the home of Chocolate*) and decided to start bringing our ranges inline with American candies (which are plumbing products according to EU regulations)… :wink:

As a kid I heard about these fabled American treats, like Hershey Bars and Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups… I was massively disappointed when they turned up over here are turned out to be made from brown wax. I can only assume US products are designed to be stable at higher temperatures than is necessary in the UK and so need to skimp on the cocoa-fats.

*Not counting Belgium, of course…

6 Likes