The Candy Hierarchy for 2016: Halloween's best and worst treats

I am uncontrovertible proof that it is possible to peak very early on Malted Milk Balls. I thought they were pure ambrosia back in the 7th grade, and spent my lawn mowing earnings on a half-gallon sized carton of them. Then I proceeded to eat about two-thirds of them in the course of one Saturday afternoon.
Soon after that, my entire digestive tract went into a red alert status, and began exacting revenge upon that part of my brain that suffered from poor impulse control. And, well, all of the other parts
 By the time the whole physiological tumult progressed to completion, I was through with marble-sized chocolate crunch pellets FOR EVER.
And at that point in my life, I had never heard of “A Clockwork Orange”. I had a vague understanding of “Willy Wonka” though :wink:

3 Likes

It always strikes me as weird that the “anonymous” brown blobs in black and orange wrappers always score lower than Mary Janes
when they ARE Mary Janes. And they’re not bad at all. Certainly better than candy corn or anything Hersey’s craps out.

3 Likes

We gotta know
 which end suffered the worst in the Brown Malted Milk Revolt?

I am not entirely certain
 but I suspect I could eat a whole half-gallon carton of those in a long afternoon.

5 Likes

Naaa I blew about $40

1 Like

D-d-dad?

I am the freak from north virginia (dc actually) who eats their apples north->south. if I cant rip the stem out I go aussie, unless i have another apple on hand with a loose stem. the seeds add flavor, and you get bigger chunks of crisp apple meat.

2 Likes

OH MY ANTICHRIST! How is carob chocolate not listed!?! I’m still trying get the taste of that nasty-ass hippie wanna bee chocolate out of my mouth hole from when all 70s parents were trying to pawn it off as an “alternative.” To what? The desire to live?

5 Likes

I
I almost want some candy corn now.

But it will have to wait until after the FULL SIZED BIT-O-HONEY bar and a handful of Mary Janes.

And since I’m going out, a bag of chik-o-stix as well.

4 Likes

Now 'n Laters were my jam in junior high, especially the green apple flavor. Eating in class was verboten, but if you were sly you could get away with having a Now 'n Later stuck to the roof of your mouth for the better part of the hour . . . as long as the teacher didn’t notice your tongue was green. I feel a powerful need to get to a 7-Eleven now.

6 Likes

Uh, because hard candy sucks? Halloween isn’t about patience or savoring. It’s about loot and stuffing your gob!

3 Likes

Kinda thought that was it’s job. 'Cept when you crunch those suckers up like you’re a rock monster chomping down on a bag of gravel. :smiley:

4 Likes

Because they’re an easter candy? So if you’re getting them in October is weird and gross. I mean they’re weird and gross anyway, but come on.

Also I’d kill a man for a Twirl right now.

I don’t know if its hate for Kit Kat. Just a long running rivalry in these polls between Kit Kat and peanut butter cups. The peanut butter usually wins, so this is a first for Kit Kat.

I’m Team Kit Kat, and yours kick the shit out of ours. As with most things of British/Irish origin now controlled by Hershey.

4 Likes

You take that back!

If they’re easter sweets then why they in here in the first place? Such a thing makes a mockery of this whole study. I demand a peer review.

6 Likes

Nestle.

4 Likes

Whereas cadbury are now owned by kraft? Ugh. We’ve already gone through creme egg-gate.

1 Like

You are the Official Winner of Halloween, nungesser.

3 Likes

“with the exception of the United States where it is made under license by H.B. Reese Candy Company”

Which is wholly owned by Hershey. You can watch a dude dressed as a Kit Kat dance around in Hershey Park.

Weirdly inside the US Nestle’s chocolate (outside of a handful of items) is far, far worse than Hershey’s. But outside the US, because Hershey’s is shit chocolate even here Nestle products are awesome.

I’m sorry. The thin shell of quality Cadbury’s chocolate encompassing sugared ejaculate is the best candy ever. And the recent change from actual Euro made Dairy milk to regionally manufactured Hershey’s shit grade Cadbury’s chocolate didn’t at all ruin the one good thing about them. And it certainly didn’t destroy the only nationally distributed venue I had for getting a childhood favorite (outside of visiting family) by altering the Cadbury’s Caramel egg. No SIR. EVERYTHING IS FINE.

Ahhh so you’re coming at this post-creme egg-gate? I get ya. As you were. Did i notice the quality of chocolate dramatically changed? I’m not entirely sure. Maybe. They’ve definitely gotten smaller.

1 Like

It got worse. But it wasn’t any good to start with. Cadbury is only good in comparison to Hershey.

1 Like

Well yeah, this isn’t a hierarchy for fancy artisan chocolate afterall but they shouldn’t even be in the same layer. No? Admittedly i’ve never tried hershey but i’ve yet to see anyone anywhere admit to liking it.

1 Like