The easy-to-make Twitter egg sandwich is easy to make

Knife and fork stuff!

5 Likes

my first thought on reading @jlw’s headline was “how can a sandwich be a reply guy

2 Likes

That sort of action usually isn’t for a “sandwich”. Try eating that sucker in your car. Butter everywhere. And crunchy eggs! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Just made one… put a slice of cheese between to make it more of a bread omelette. Was like eating french toast with my fingers, but it was tasty!

Next time, I will toast the bread first to get more of a crispy element, and salt/pepper the eggs after the first flip.

8 Likes

The translated name…

… means “what you like, cooked” so whatever you have on hand (presuming it’s your stuff that you like already) is good enough!

Don’t worry if you lack bonito or pork belly or the right kind of mayonnaise.

Bust out that frying pan, chop up a buncha things you like to eat, and throw an egg, egg batter, pancake batter, etc. I think the only thing that’s important is the tamari or soy sauce, and some kinda shredded bulky stuff. Mushrooms. Carrots. Nori. Kimchi. Leftovers!

8 Likes

I make a mean meatless okonomiyaki. You only really need cabbage, green onion, egg and a little oat flour. Then O sauce and Kewpie Mayo and it’s a fine meal.

10 Likes

Needs sound, don’t it?

6 Likes

The “dip it in the egg, flip it” stage seems to be a huge mistake - it’s going to make it very difficult (or impossible) to eat without getting messy hands, a pretty crucial thing for sandwiches; the bread is there to stop you having to just pick up the filling, so putting the filling on the outside is perverse.

That aside, it’s neat, but if I ordered an egg sandwich and you served me that then we’d be having words. It’s not an egg sandwich, it’s a horrifyingly overcooked omelette sandwich. You need a sunny side up fried egg with a runny yolk, or you need to get the hell away from me.

5 Likes

Tasty, but not a sandwich.
The whole point of a sandwich is that you can hold it and eat it without getting your fingers greasy or mоist.

5 Likes

Man, the pedants in here. Not that I don’t engage in mild mannered pedantry from time to time. Yes, it’s still a sandwich, which has nothing to do with how messy it is. Messy, neat, still a sandwich. And yes, you probably wouldn’t eat this while driving around, but then, you also probably don’t eat shrimp cocktails while driving either, or anything that needs a spoon or fork, or freshly grilled salmon, or I could go on but come on, is that REALLY a complaint about THIS particular sandwich? The post isn’t saying “this is great when you’re on the road.” Clearly you make and eat this at home. I don’t think there are many who would make a fried egg sandwich for taking on the road. But your mileage may vary, I grant.

6 Likes

It’s GIR, in egg form!

3 Likes

My hometown.
Nobody gets to tell me how to eat lunch!!

:wink:

17 Likes

‘it’s messy’

Geez, do none of you ever enjoy the greatness of a grilled cheese sandwich? Ever hear of a napkin to hold it thus avoiding greasy fingers?

And as for ‘overdone eggs’ some people do have texture issues and prefer their eggs more done. Nothing wrong with that. Took me until way into my adult life to figure out why I never liked eggs in any ‘regular allowed form’

6 Likes

Next up, trial by combat.

6 Likes

Not even? image

17 Likes

They’ll be going over easy.

5 Likes

4 Likes

The exterior of a grilled cheese definitely isn’t coated with cheese, though. Sure, it (and any self respecting egg sandwich) will make a mess when you eat it, but you then mop it up with the remains of the sandwich keeping your hands relatively clean. (Anecdotally it’s why the sandwich was invented in the first place!) If you get in a big ol’ mess just picking it up it’s not really what I would philosophically consider a sandwich - whatever it’s a sandwich of should be between the slices of bread, not surrounding the bread. What you have here is an overcooked omelette stuffed with bread.

(And yes, it is overcooked. Omelette should be baveuse.)

2 Likes

Ex. A for the defense. The humble and amazing crostini grilled cheese sandwich.

And again, drop the overdone egg complex. There is no set rule to how long an egg should cook. Some of us can’t eat disgusting raw, uncooked liquid egg nastiness.

4 Likes

Cool trick, but rather impractical; I’ll stick with the old fashioned method.

18 Likes