The Eggo you wanna l'Eggo: A frozen Sausage, Egg and Cheese Breakfast Sandwich, reviewed (F)

Gaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!

2 Likes

SpaghettiOs Eggos? Brilliant! That’s like vomit-filled Hot Pockets! But aren’t they all?

2 Likes

Yeah, I knew you’d be jealous.

3 Likes

That is the model I have. Actually, I have the earlier version, which doesn’t have the flippable griddle plate; it only does waffles. But it is a great chrome monster and even being over 60 years old, still works great.

There’s the rub. Whether it’s waffles or a breakfast sandwich, neither takes much time or effort and the results are sooooooooooooooooo much better (and I say this as an egg mcmuffin fan, it’s our standard road trip breakfast).

I’m not a food snob, but I never understood why anyone would eat frozen waffles.

I used to buy them very rarely in my early 20’s. I did most of my cooking but i got the frozen Eggos waffles as an odd treat… which didn’t make much sense because i didn’t really enjoy them all that much.

They’re definitely lousy, and i would well rather just not eat anything than eat a shitty pre-made frozen breakfast meal.

While I absolutely agree that a freshly-made waffle is infinitely better than a frozen one, having fresh milk/eggs/waffle mix on hand as well as the time to mix up waffles and cook them is a rare treat for weekends. When I just want a quick crunchy thing to munch on in the morning as I delve into my email and get the dog out, an Eggo is just fine.

3 Likes

Fresh waffles actually keep pretty well in the freezer. So when you make some, make extra, freeze them, then crisp them up in the toaster. Works great.

3 Likes

Toaster = okay

Toaster oven = better.

1 Like

I have a recipe book called ‘Will It Waffle?’

Such fun.

4 Likes

And 21% of your daily recommended sodium; boom! right there in the bag, down the hatch it goes, even before leaving the house in the morning, even before ANY OTHER food, Bam! 1/5 there already.
I mean, y’all know how hard it is to find enough decent sodium in food these days. Total lifesaver this.

On a more personal note, 10 years ago I would not have thought twice before eating that, McD’s, too, all the things. Now I wouldn’t, now I know it makes a difference, and that the soylenty sludge that comes from the factories really should be beneath everyone.

Maple flavor. It is what all Canadian souvenirs taste like.

1 Like

alternate title: “Man with history of poor decision making; makes bad decision.”

2 Likes

I’ll just leave this here…

best damn commercial waffle mix ever.

1 Like

I prefer to make it from scratch. Never had a mix that tasted decent, and don’t take that much time to get the dry ingredients together.

1 Like

I prefer scratch as well, but if I’m pressed for time, I’ll use a pancake mix, plus an egg, a little oil, and some vanilla extract.

Fair enough :slight_smile: to me pancakes is my “relax and enjoy my weekend” thing so i generally have plenty of time.

I first came across it in an upscale restaurant kitchen, back when the company mainly sold it in bulk. Buy enough cases and they threw in an industrial iron. It really is very tasty with the added malt, and for my non kitchen talented family this stuff rocks. :slight_smile:

I have some vanilla malt that I use to make the occasional malted milk shake. I wonder if I could toss in a tablespoon or two into the waffle mix?

Can’t believe it took so long for this one…

2 Likes