The failed presidential campaign of Ted Cruz is like the fight to end slavery, says Heidi Cruz

Heidi did not compare Teds run to ending slavery. She only noted the time it took. This is just an example of the news twisting words to their liking. These are your words, not hers, in the article:

“She portrayed Ted Cruz’s presidential campaign as a single step in a broader journey, which is exactly like the process that led to Abraham Lincoln signing the Emancipation and ending the legality of slavery in 1862”.

No, she did not (at least not in this article). Crappy hack job BB. No, I am not pro Cruz. Just a fair and honest guy unlike BB

1 Like

And sometimes what they say is amazingly false and untrue.

2 Likes

Your poor English is showing. You know that’s a dead giveaway, right?

4 Likes

So you’re saying she was being ironic?

Would it have been equally useful to her point if she had drawn a comparison to how great the gap was from the Beer Hall Putsch in 1923 to the Enabling Act of 1933?

14 Likes

Are you disappointed?

7 Likes

Thing is, that dude is just. like. my. sibling.

It’s that every idea is theirs. If they believe they understand it, it was their idea first, in an ownership sense. That’s the best I can figure it out and I’ve had decades to wonder WTFBBQSAUCE?

3 Likes

“only”

#le sigh

7 Likes

8 Likes

But that’s exactly what she did.

Yes, by comparing it to the time she said it took to end slavery. Which was absolutely deliberate, because she was casting Ted’s run as a “great work” comparable to the ending of slavery. Because Republicans are always directly comparing things the Democrats do to slavery itself.

19 Likes

7 Likes

Let’s all be fair to the freakazoids because,

while electing Ted Cruelz isn’t as difficult as ending slavery…it sure as shit ought to be.

In either direction it works out for the best. If ending slavery is as easy as electing one asshat to high office, let’s give ending slavery that effort. If electing one asshat to high office is as difficult as ending slavery, best not to divide our efforts electing one asshat.

6 Likes

I think this 25 years thing is counting from the time that Josiah Grady declared he was against slavery till the end of the civil war.

3 Likes

Yea, people are getting hung up on the 25 years, which is a complete red herring. I’m glad you put your finger on it, I just assumed something happened 25 years before the end of the war. With historical issues like that, there’s always ten ways to pick the start point and the end point, and scholars get paid to wank over the details and overlook the big picture.

In this case, the big picture is Dominionism. The Cruzes believe it is the destiny of evangelical Christians to rule the world, and it is their mission to bring about the Kingdom of Heaven. That is the struggle that she is comparing to slavery. She is right, it would be as big a project as the Civil War. It might even entail a Civil War, and Dominionists are okay with that.

Some Christians have this whole ideology about how obedience is actually freedom. It’s quite Orwellian. It is a direct parallel to Islam, which sort of means “submission to God.” So you see, if they can force everybody to submit to their brand of the faith, we will actually be free, and that’s like ending slavery, and so on. It all makes sense to them.

But we’ve seen this kind of theocracy again and again in human history, and it somehow never seems to usher in an era of peace and harmony. It is utterly violent and oppressive, and that is why the Cruzes are not a joke. They have a nightmarish vision for America, and their movement is strong and growing and they must be stopped. Cf: The Handmaid’s Tale.

23 Likes

Considering their reasoning for supporting Israel, I’m pretty sure it’s part of their plan.

6 Likes

Right. A modern-day reenactment of ancient apocalyptic literature. What’s the worst that could happen?

5 Likes

First Lady Heidi Cruz would be a fine horseman.

5 Likes

You say horseman, and I imagine AronRa swinging a replica of Mjolnir astride a mighty steed. Opposing these people. And suddenly, I am comforted.

5 Likes

She could have filled in for the last two years of a recent Alaskan governor and nobody would have ever known.

4 Likes

We’ve ended slavery?

May be Heidi could speak with these people

6 Likes

Horesman wielding Mjolnir? You mean this guy:

5 Likes