The Fall of Roe v Wade & the Insidious Fascist Plot to Make All Women into Mere Broodmares

Angry Star Trek GIF

11 Likes

The talking/thinking heads of Brazilian politics said that President Lula should get closer to the evangelicals, who were part of Mr. Bolsonaro’s support base.

The congressman who authored this law on borto declared to anyone who would listen that this is a test to demonstrate whether Mr. Lula da Silva is truly committed to evangelicals.

Last week Lula declared that he is personally against abortion, but that as president of all Brazilians, this issue must be treated as a case of public health and that the project of this bill would be insanity.

The Congressman doubled down and challenged the President to increase the sentence for abusers (he seems not to know that a president in the Brazilian political system cannot propose laws or changes to laws). Some other members of some churches charged the President too, calling him a liar and an hypocritical person.

https://oantagonista.com.br/brasil/autor-de-pl-sobre-aborto-desafia-lula-a-aumentar-pena-de-estuprador/

12 Likes

So, the whole dumb strategy of politicians feeling the need to appeal to the right wing isn’t just an American problem, then…

11 Likes

These guys have the very same ethos and methods. Ok, a lot of them around here aren’t true believers. Some are just grifters surfing the tidal wave of reactionary way of life. The whole problem is that this type of disheveled thinking ends up resonating very loudly on social media and even in the real world. Anything that goes beyond government control is soon echoed in the media and becomes an “unprecedented crisis”.

10 Likes

Yep, up here, down there, across Europe and into East Asia, it’s a worldwide movement and they regularly share tactics and ideas, and the centrists keep thinking that if they just lean just enough into their rhetoric, it’ll benefit them…

11 Likes

A local rock band sang this verse almost 30 years ago:

And the Fascism is fascinating
Leaving ignorant people fascinated

9 Likes
11 Likes
8 Likes
9 Likes

Illegal abortions will increase, and the subsequent harms will occur, but abortions will happen. You can make safe, medically supported abortion impossible but women will find a way to terminate pregnancies, just as they have throughout history. This is the worst situation for women to have to deal with.

16 Likes

despite my insistence on being the lead actor in my own life, i know too well that it is the supporting cast and my responses to them make the difference between a “life well-lived” and an existence which is nasty, brutish, and tediously long.

women and girls are half of my life. at least half. as a teacher, as a husband, as a brother, as a son, interactions with the female of the species have engaged an enormous amount of my attention. dobbs wouild be a joke in a sane timeline . . .

samuel alito seems to be a dreadful human being and seems also to have found a soulmate in his wife.

15 Likes

Uh Huh Reaction GIF by Originals

13 Likes

https://archive.ph/zGhln

13 Likes

Yeah, ‘cause the other directions are Indiana, Kentucky, and West Virginia.

11 Likes
15 Likes

Michigan is an option, but not a great one when you’re in Cincinnati.

11 Likes

Between 2021 and 2022, infant deaths in Texas increased from 1985 to 2240, or 255 additional deaths. This corresponds to a 12.9% increase, whereas the rest of the US experienced a comparatively lower 1.8% increase.

Tell me again about how they are protecting babies?

18 Likes

Nice graphic illustrations:

17 Likes

Everyone needs to make their own decisions, but I know if it were me I wouldn’t go to the family reunion. And I’d be sure to tell all my relatives exactly why.

Angry Aubrey Plaza GIF by Parks and Recreation

18 Likes
11 Likes