The flag-less GOP is practicing for another red flop in 2024

Originally published at: The flag-less GOP is practicing for another red flop in 2024 | Boing Boing

9 Likes

The inimitable Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, on the idea of these gravy seals carrying guns in committee rooms:

‘I believe that from what I’ve witnessed, the competence of some members may be something that I would be willing to question.’

BUWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

27 Likes

When ammosexuals expressed their belief that the 2nd Amendment was intended as the Constitution’s suicide clause, it was laughable. Not so funny now that they’re inside Congress itself.

24 Likes

Any comparison to those idjitz is a grievous insult to Elmer Fudd.

18 Likes

while embracing sociopaths like George Anthony Devolver Kitara Ravache George Castanza Santos

:: chef’s kiss ::

17 Likes

Just like NASCAR, it’s their sponsorship decal.

19 Likes

What now? I thought this was a ticketable offence?

flagless-in-a-patriotic-zone-new-yorker-cartoon_u-l-pgtrlj0

18 Likes

oh , your gun decal won’t get you into heaven any more ;
we’re already overcrowded from your dirty little war - - -

15 Likes

Matt Gaetz offers an updated version of the Pledge of Allegiance to be recited before judiciary committee meetings in 3, 2, 1…

I pledge allegiance to the AR15, and to the firearm manufacturers for which it stands, one nation under LaPierre, with large capacity magazines and bump stocks for all.

14 Likes

Santos is such a hanger-on personality; aside from larceny has he had an original thought?!

12 Likes

Why an AR-15, though?

10 Likes

Is that before or after these Moonie scammers offer an opening prayer?

9 Likes

It’s the gun George Washington used to storm those airfields, America’s gun. /s

12 Likes

I hear grenades are also popular.

11 Likes

“GOP … practicing for another red flop … keeping up with their new tradition of sinking the last three elections in a row with unpatriotic acts …”

I would dearly like to believe that Republican performance politics, if not their unflinching dedication to the most hateful causes on the political menu, will sink them in 2024. But right now this hot take strikes me as wildly overoptimistic, and potentially liable to date very badly.

The political system, top to bottom, is stacked in favor of a conservative minority. Some of that has been engineered recently; some is centuries old. But the Republicans don’t have to do very well to win. They only need to whip up some fake outrage at the right time in the handful of states where votes actually matter to claim a victory. And even if they don’t win across the board, a partial victory can still be destructive. Sure, they had a “red flop” in 2022, but they still took the House and gave the truly lunatic fringe carte blanche to set their party’s agenda for the next two years.

Maybe their antics during those two years will further sap their support among the saner elements of their base. I don’t know. But I’d bet that for every Republican voter who’s disgusted by their AR-15 lapel pins, ten more are delighted. And the Republican strategy – ably supported by Fox and other arms of the party’s propaganda division – is to push more people into the “delighted” bucket. Their goal is to radicalize their rank-and-file so that more and more will actually applaud stunts like persecuting trans people or wearing toy guns on their collars or regulating what children can and can’t read. It’s what they do, and even if they don’t always do it well, they do it with insane energy and persistence.

Saying “Oh, they’re going to fail so hard” at this point strikes me as extremely unwise. Remember that guy Donald Trump, the joke candidate who couldn’t possibly win? Remember how the Republican party was going to tear itself apart and cease to exist as a viable political force?

TL;DR: Just because they’re acting like spiteful idiots isn’t grounds for assuming that their spiteful idiocy will cost them future political wins.

41 Likes

Yup. I will laugh at the Nazis only after their leader shoots himself. Right now they are actually the biggest existential threat to the lives of the largest number of people in the US and their only promise is to make sure some of the people who die are the people their base wants dead.

26 Likes

Want. So I can sell on ebay as “Official GOP butt plug.”

17 Likes

That’s exactly what Dems should be tweeting, and telling the press when asked to comment…. :+1:

6 Likes

Possibly because of the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban, which, as we all know from reading gun propaganda, targeted merely cosmetic features. The liberals don’t want your guns to look cool.

1 Like

Those aren’t cartoons. They are a signal.

What’s that old expression?
Soap box, Ballot box, Ammo box?

These people are done with elections.

13 Likes